Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I am a high school student looking to start a saxophone choir up. We have a large variety of skill within our players, which is why I want to arrange myself. I dont listen to much classical orchestra music so I was looking if someone could help me with some suggestions to arrange for a saxophone choir. for reference I am arranging for probably two sopranos, three altos, three tenors, and two baris. I dont want any jazz for this but I do want something that isnt overly technical. I was thinking some parts have runs, for ex soprano 1 alto 1 or 2 and tenor 1 and have simple harmonies for the other parts. Thank you

*edit. the score also must be available online or in the public domain

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
This probably wouldn't work for your purposes, but I can't resist mentioning: I've always wished there was a saxophone version of the incredible beautiful final movement of Mahler's Ninth Symphony. If you did do an arrangement of that, I'd buy a copy!

Probably something like Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I dont listen to much classical orchestra music so I was looking if someone could help me with some suggestions to arrange for a saxophone choir. for reference I am arranging for probably two sopranos, three altos, three tenors, and two baris. I dont want any jazz for this but I do want something that isnt overly technical.
Even fairly simple classical orchestral works can be pretty "technical" when the task is boiling them down into an arrangement for 10 saxophones. Not listening to much orchestral music yourself means you will be starting from scratch in terms of understanding these compositions. My suggestion is to find a short piece (no more than 10 minutes or so) that you have heard and that you like. There must be something out there that's familiar and interesting to you. You will be more motivated working on music with at least a little appeal to you. Arranging a work suggested at random could seem like a homework assignment. I'd recommend exploring movie scores, except for your "public domain" proviso.

Here's another idea to get you started: find a melodic work that already has a saxophone part in it. For example, "The Old Castle" from Pictures At an Exhibition by Mussorgsky/Ravel; Bolero by Ravel; "Troika" or another selection from the Lt. Kije Suite by Prokofiev. Any of these ring a bell? You could leave the sax solo as is and then build rest of the arrangement around it.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
Conn: 6M, 26M, 28M, 30M. Barone Bb soprano. Conn C-melody, C soprano. Antigua bari.
682 Posts
"Souvenir de Puerto Rico" by Gottschalk. Originally for piano; there's a brass quintet arrangement published for it. There's a nice arrangement of it on one of the Nuclear Whales CDs. You might want to look for other pieces arranged for a smaller-than-symphonic-orchestra ensembles (like a brass ensemble or pep band) to use as starters for your arrangements, especially for your first few arrangements. Some arrangers offer their arrangements on E-bay (a form of self-publishing) for low prices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
First thing that came to mind is Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. Slow (non-technical) yet flows, wonderful harmonies.

One of the most famous classical pieces amongst people who don't know classical music! You can't go wrong with it. Check it out on Youtube.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Music from early baroque which (f.e.Gabrieli: sonata pian e forte) should be easy to transcribe and fun to play. Just download a midifile and allocate each voice to a certain instrument, then make your adjustments (transposition ....).

·
Registered
433 Posts
+1 for the suggestion for Renaissance or early baroque. Gabrielli, Tallis, Tomkins.
I have a sax version of a 6-part Tomkins motet ("Woe is me") for SSATBB.
Also Nimrod from Elgar's Enigma Variations sounds good in pretty much any arrangement.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Other ideas:

Tchaikovsky Hymn of the Cherubim (will need 8 or more)

Mascagni Intermezzo

Overture to Handel's Messiah

Of course arrangements of the heavier orchestral pieces will really benefit from bass sax - but then what doesn't?? If you don't have a bass sax, you might consider adding in a kb or bass guitar or organ part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts