Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently play soprano, alto and tenor sax. On alto and soprano I have a somewhat decent tone. On tenor I currently play on a vandoren v12 metal t75 mouthpiece with a lavoz medium hard reed. I notice that on tenor my sound is nowhere near how I sound alto and soprano, which is kind of frustrating. I notice that my intonation is all over the place, but more often then not it is flat. I try to pull the mouthpiece out and push it in, but it seems like I can’t find a happy medium. That is due to the fact I will pull the mouthpiece out sometimes and it is ready to drop off the neck and still can’t get in tune. I don't know if it is namely my embochure or the fact that it is gold plated. Just looking for advice, thank you in advance.

P.S. When looking for a setup, what should I look for in terms of something that is relative to my setup on alto and soprano. Alto I go between my Yanagisawa 7 with LaVoz Med/Med Hard reeds, and Lebayle studio 8 and hemke 3 reeds, Soprano I go between my beechler 6 and yanagisawa 6 mouthpiece with LaVoz Med Hard Reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Different mouthpieces usually tune differently. That's just about the first thing you check on after determining that it actually does play for you. You need something with true pitch to check it with - a keyboard instrument that's in tune, an electronic tuner or maybe just an 'A' chime. You can expect different mouthpieces to tune at different places on the cork, so don't be put off by that - its normal. When you're playing and you think its flat, push the mouthpiece in a little, maybe 1/8 inch, and try again. Sometimes a mouthpiece will play sharp and you can't use it because it tunes too far out on the cork. If it plays flat and you have to push it all the way on, its okay as long as it still plays okay.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,789 Posts
Right now I play on a vandoren v12 metal t75 mouthpiece with a lavoz medium hard reed. I am wondering how to get a setup on tenor that will give me a similar tone that I will have on tenor. In addition, not hinder me from growing on tenor. I notice that with this mouthpiece I tend to be kind of flat, I don't know if it is namely my embochure or the fact that it is gold plated. When I tried the otto link gold mouthpiece on alto, I had the same problem. Just looking for advice, thank you in advance.
I'm confused by your post. Are you talking about the V16 T75 for tenor sax? I don't know of an alto mouthpiece of that name. You then say you want a setup on tenor that will give you a similar tone to the tone you have on tenor which I don't understand.........

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm confused by your post. Are you talking about the V16 T75 for tenor sax? I don't know of an alto mouthpiece of that name. You then say you want a setup on tenor that will give you a similar tone to the tone you have on tenor which I don't understand.........

Yes for tenor sax. My alto setup is yanagisawa metal 7 with a laVoz Medium reed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Right now I play on a vandoren v12 metal t75 mouthpiece with a lavoz medium hard reed. I am wondering how to get a setup on tenor that will give me a similar tone that I will have on tenor. In addition, not hinder me from growing on tenor. I notice that with this mouthpiece I tend to be kind of flat, I don't know if it is namely my embochure or the fact that it is gold plated. When I tried the otto link gold mouthpiece on alto, I had the same problem. Just looking for advice, thank you in advance.
Your embouchure may be too loose. Gold plating will not make a mouthpiece play flat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Yes for tenor sax. My alto setup is yanagisawa metal 7 with a laVoz Medium reed.
Why not try the same thing for tenor? I play very different mouthpieces than Yanagisawa but have to admit, when I tried one I liked it. The Yanagisawa metal is a seriously good mouthpiece.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm confused by the question too..are you saying that you want your tenor tone to sound more like your alto tone? If so, as 1saxman has suggested, why not start with a Yanigisawa mouthpiece if that's what you have on alto.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best bet is to talk to people in the area and see if you can find mouthpieces to test and compare to make sure you're getting what you want. Maybe talk to a local instructor or music shop. Personally I'd recommend Mouthpiece Cafe as I play on their pieces and know people who do all with great success. They have a decent variety of mouthpieces to get different tone qualities that there is a good chance you'll find something you'll like.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I don't understand, you want a different mouthpiece to sound the same as you do now? Oh, and it is you, not the mouthpiece. I highly recommend that you don't look at your gear as much as yourself. Phil Barone

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I have always admired Kirk Whalum’s sound.
A mouthpiece won't help make you sound like anyone. You have to listen to their music and emulate them. Just get a good mouthpiece than stick with it. 10MFan makes a good mouthpiece or I have some on sale now. Phil Barone

·
Registered
419 Posts
I need a glass of wine...
As you know, it requires hard work to master three wives.
Jesus said "When I stopped blaming my gear, magic began to appear".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts