Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi yall, Im new around here so be gentle please. I thought some of you (Shmuelyosef in particular--Shalom aleichem) might want to hear about by DJH modified Bari. I got it last year, pretty banged up and needing a ton of work, but I could see that it was a Keilwierth stencil so thought it might be worth the trouble to fix up. Boy was I right on this gamble! After a lot of work,, its up and running and its a smokin horn! It definitely smokes my friends YBS-62, which is more even and sounds great, but doesnt have nearly the cajones that this horn does. I have a custom Wagner Bari mouthpiece set up by my dear departed friend JVW that is a perfect match. Anyone else driving one of these German Tanks? Serial #88,525. My one dissapointment wiht thiis horn is that while it has a retro naked lady Conn Art Decco design on the bell, the lady is missing in her pentagonal window. Now Im not the vain type to have horns eleborately engraved, but this is really bothering me. Since the horn has turned out to be such a total mofo, I think this horn deserves a lady in there!!! Who should I put there? Any suggestions?? Hillary? Marilyn? Princess Di? Billie Holiday!!!! Thats IT!! Anyone else have a DJH mod horn w/ Conn bell engraving sans lady? Anyone know someone around NYC who could engrave a goddess in there for me? Thanks!!! LNS

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
How about Betty Carter, she'd look great in there.
They are fantastic horns in general and the bari must be a monster. Jon Raskin in the Rova sax quartet played a Couf of similar vintage until he played it to death and got a selmer, it took him about 25 years and a lot of playing and traveling.
Too bad they didn't put the lady in on yours. I had one of the altos and the engraving was rather demure and not nearly as risque as the old conns.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Billie's the only one in that bunch worthy of having a horn named after her, go with Lady Day.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've had a few DJH 108M altos through that had the lady and the rolled toneholes.
I currently have a DJH 92M alto with all the 6M style engraving but no rolled toneholes. Does your bari have rolled toneholes? Does it have a model number on it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Mine is a 122m, because of the low A. The B flat baris are the 120m. No RTH on mine, they were an option back then, and the Baris were a special order item hence the fact that you see very few of them.

·
2,063 Posts
Yes it does, Its really hard to get a good picture of it. Such a nice horn, I bought it off the original owner who just babied this thing. Still looks like a new horn and barks like a big dog. Very similar to the early SX-90 baris even has the same body to bell brace as the first SX-90s.

·
2,063 Posts
SaxyAcoustician said:
I didn't see Pamela Anderson's name in that list. ;)
Well these horns were made in the 80's so I would think an 80's supermodel would be appropriate. Say Christy Brinkley?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Finnerski,

Thanks - i went and looked him up and now it makes sense - so much history behind the different sax lines, so its hard to keep up with the abbreviations and name modifiers.

·
2,063 Posts
hornimprovement said:
That's interesting. I have also heard it represented:

D-aniel Henkin
J-ulius Keilwerth
H-erb Couf

Maybe both?
By the way, that's sweet bari, Finnerski. I'm sure it rips!
Thanks. Nope, its actually Daniel J. Henkin, who owned Conn at the time. The guy I bought it from was a Conn employee and worked for Henkin. Henkin wanted all the glory of a horn actually made in Nauheim. The run lasted from 1980-1985 when Henkin got out.

Just wondering, where is the guy who started this post?

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
Daniel J. Henkin ran the Conn company from 1980 to 1985, and his brainchild, the DJH modified horn, was named in his honor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I Must Have DJH Mod Lady> Now!!

Hi, Thanks for your replies! You people are awsome! I will get some pixs of horns and stuff ASAP. but here is some more info on my bari. ... a 98M, No rolled tone holes, classic 6M style engraving (sans lady!!). My Bari just RIPPS.
Hey Finnerski, we need to drag race our DJH Mods. Yours looks really clean, mines much uglier, and you have the lady!!! Ohhh now I'm getting hot and bothered... I really really REALLY need the lady,and I'm just writhing with Jelousy and LUST. I must have her. MUST!!!!!!! Anyone out there with the number of a good engraver in NYC area contact me IMMEDIATELY, this is now an emergency. LNS

·
2,063 Posts
I think that Lauren Sevian is the current bari sax queen. She would look good on that horn.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts