Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After practicing them fruitlessly for years, I am finally accessing them. The main things that made a difference were suggested by my saxophone teacher. 1) Keep up the breath support and pressure you would normally have for playing normally. 2) The tongue position can come forward to make a smaller cavity. (I already knew it could hiss in the back.)
3) Quit trying to change your jaw or lips to gain the notes. Instead, focus for the notes with your tongue.

This worked because I had already been working on focus with the tongue on high and low notes. Anyway, I'm glad, because it truly is helping my tone, as I feel how to optimally focus with my tongue and airstream for those notes as I compare them with overtone fingered notes. Some of these things I'm sure I had heard before. I just didn't fully understand them, and was also doing self-defeating things like trying to change my lips and jaw. Anyway, it's a nice intro to a Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,624 Posts
Congrats. It's fun to suddenly develop of new skill. I was playing around with overtone excercises in Top Tones the other day. I was able to get most of the notes and actually managed to squawk out a few altissimo notes. First time. Now I'm excited to work on them some more. Keep at it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,487 Posts
What are "all the overtones"?

Finally I can access all the overtones

After practicing them fruitlessly for years, I am finally accessing them. The main things that made a difference were suggested by my saxophone teacher. 1) Keep up the breath support and pressure you would normally have for playing normally. 2) The tongue position can come forward to make a smaller cavity. (I already knew it could hiss in the back.)
3) Quit trying to change your jaw or lips to gain the notes. Instead, focus for the notes with your tongue.

This worked because I had already been working on focus with the tongue on high and low notes. Anyway, I'm glad, because it truly is helping my tone, as I feel how to optimally focus with my tongue and airstream for those notes as I compare them with overtone fingered notes. Some of these things I'm sure I had heard before. I just didn't fully understand them, and was also doing self-defeating things like trying to change my lips and jaw. Anyway, it's a nice intro to a Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What are "all the overtones"?

Finally I can access all the overtones
Good point. Only the ones I was looking for, which from Bb on the bottom goes up the to 7th ( high Ab). Wait. I just checked, it it is the Db above the 4th 8va.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts