Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have settled on my mpc and sound after 2years.I previously posted here along while back asking for constructive critiscism and got it , so hear we go again.This time I 'm playing with a small quartet with a vocalist called Marina and theJazzcats, www.marinatheron.com. We play standards no bebop ,I'm a few more tears away from incorporating that into my solos .

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Very nice warm and dark sound on your Conn.
What tip opening do you use?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Nice sound, I like it.

Read the Bios section and saw you were trained as a clarinetist. After listening to a couple of tunes, that makes sense :) The one suggestion I would make is to forget everything about embouchure that you learned playing clarinet - push in your mouthpiece about 1/8", take a little more mouthpiece in your mouth, and relax your jaw and lip pressure enough to play in tune.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A large part of being able to play the nuances of emotional music is the flexible embouchure. skeller was right in that you have to loosen up. Once you do, you can push in your mouthpiece, shorten the instrument and get better intonation and response. I'm not saying your intonation is bad, I'm saying you'll have to work less with a shorter horn. The looser embouchure will give you the flexibility to bend notes and truly express your feelings. I've been where you are. After 20 years of playing clarinet, I was pretty stiff as a jazz sax guy. Got the same advise I provide today.

Don't get me wrong, you guys sound great. I love the tune selections and the balance with the vocalist. Congratulations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts