Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ya know reading on this forum ppl find high valued mpcs hidden in their cases, pawn shop super-finds, painted VIs, etc. I've never had the pleasure of finding anything like that except for a imitation Rovner lig stuck under the cushioning in a case once .. not much of a find.

But last week I ran over to a church sale .. they were selling a couple musical instruments. guitar .. junk .. sax .. Bundy II alto .... and old Werlitzer spinet piano that needed a bunch of work ... AND a Yamaha upright P22 for $190 in great condition

in tune .. great condition .. needs no work, etc etc ...

WOW

so $200 more for having piano movers get it to my house I finally have a really nice piano

Finally I can learn piano again instead of fiddling on my old keyboard !! and I didn't spend a ton of cash. Finally a great find :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
To put things into perspective... what does it mean? you got it at 1/4- 1/3 of a fair price, right? does it need repairs?
Nice thing about the Yami pianos is that they don't get out of tune easy, esp. the older ones, and they have sturdy mechanics.
Just remember to put a bowl of water inside at the bottom (where there is room, probably on the RH side) esp. if you are in a dry climate... and add water when it has evaporated, every few months (this also helps with keeping it in tune longer, by buffering variations in humidity).... my wife had conventional pianos before we went digital (Roland).

Any rate: congrats!!

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no repairs needed. they normally sell used for 1500-2000 from what I hear. So $400 for a nice piano shipped i think is a really great deal that doesn't need tuning or anything. It was a church piano and kept up in it's maintenance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
Congrats! Yes, for the first four years of reading SOTW, I was feeling left out when I would read all these testimonies on here of great finds/bargains, yet all I ever did was overpay for horns and mouthpieces (in relation to their resale values). Sadly, when it was my turn to run into a bargain (silver trannie Conn alto w/ NY Meyer mouthpiece) the potential for profit was too great, so I sold the sax and mouthpiece on ebay...the profit probably went to daycare and diapers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Art_Salt said:
Sadly, when it was my turn to run into a bargain (silver trannie Conn alto w/ NY Meyer mouthpiece) the potential for profit was too great, so I sold the sax and mouthpiece on ebay...the profit probably went to daycare and diapers.
Someone has to take care of the next generation of (female?) sax players...;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts