·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it's on Irish whistle and vocals :|

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Could be worse,.........could be on accordian.........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,983 Posts
My father and I used to play an annual St. Paddy's day sing along gig at a local yacht club for an older crowd. The party is younger and more hip now, so it's been a while since we've done it. I do miss it though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
All of my St.Patrick's day gigs over the years were with blues bands,[rolleyes] although the lead singer would sing Irish drinking songs at the beginning of each set. I've got one this Wed., but it's our 50's/ 60's group. However, as a salute to our Irish listeners, we will be playing Danny Boy and Brown Eyed Girl.:)
Incidently, I'll be leaving for Belfast via Dublin on April 12th for 6 days with my church worship team. We'll be staying in the homes of some of the church people there so my only cost is the plane fare, which unfortunatly doubled in price the day before I bought my ticket.:( I've been watching all the PBS travel shows this week which featured all the past Ireland shows just to get a feel for the Emerald Island. Hopefully I'll have a "wee bit" of time to do some exploring and check out the local traditional music scene. Anyone out there from Belfast?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Booking flights: When you look at an intersting offer the place will be pre-booked. Do you leave the site, you might get a higher price when you come back a bit later as the one you looked at might still be flagged.

At the other end of the isle, down here in Cork and a couple other cities like Dublin, Kilkenny and Waterford we got a monthly leaflet with a website attached: www.whazon.com

I am pretty sure that Belfast will have its fair share of pubs with music too and some means for finding what you're looking for.

And yes, there are a couple of posters around from Ireland. Not sure how many come from Belfast, though. Enjoy!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the Irish gig, had lots of fun. Too much beer. A loud crowd spanning all ages from kids through young military types, and older folks as well. Not my usual type of gig. Wish I could get that kind of reception with our jazz standards duo and quartet. Not getting much work, but we keep going as best we can.

·
Registered
530 Posts
All of my St.Patrick's day gigs over the years were with blues bands,[rolleyes] although the lead singer would sing Irish drinking songs at the beginning of each set. I've got one this Wed., but it's our 50's/ 60's group. However, as a salute to our Irish listeners, we will be playing Danny Boy and Brown Eyed Girl.:)
Incidently, I'll be leaving for Belfast via Dublin on April 12th for 6 days with my church worship team. We'll be staying in the homes of some of the church people there so my only cost is the plane fare, which unfortunatly doubled in price the day before I bought my ticket.:( I've been watching all the PBS travel shows this week which featured all the past Ireland shows just to get a feel for the Emerald Island. Hopefully I'll have a "wee bit" of time to do some exploring and check out the local traditional music scene. Anyone out there from Belfast?
Hi Honeyboy, I'm in Belfast. Always nice to hear of people making the effort to visit our part of the world! It's been very nice the last couple of days but you've heard what it's like, we can have every kind of weather in the course of an afternoon so be prepared. PM me if you like for any info and I'll see if I can help. Have a good trip!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Thanks Mikkeos and Rolltrane for responding. Unfortunatly we're just transferring from Dublin and I don't think we're staying there any length of time so I can look around. Thanks for the website, Mikkeos. Rolltrane, I just got your PM and responded.
I'm hoping if I go again after this trip, I'll be more confident in my knowledge about where to stay and how to travel around and I'll plan on getting there earlier and staying later so I can see the whole Island. This time I'm just staying 6 days and am tied to the church related schedule. And, if I can talk my wife into flying, it'll be perfect!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts