Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After selling my super nice Conn 10M because I needed the cash to close my home loan, I have been fortunate enough to find another great example of the model. I never believe you can catch lightening in a bottle but I have this time.

I purchased this 1948 10M from the original owner. His father bought it for him in 1949 for $238.00. The horn hasn't been played for 25 years. I threw on a mouthpiece and she played top to bottom. WOW. The owner smiled when I started blowing some Dexter tunes on the old girl.

The springs are all blue and rust free.Very little lacquer loss.. no trauma or repairs anywhere. My old sax was 319*** and I have to say that this 331*** is every bit the sax as the old one. No rolled tone holes but there is no discernible difference. in the sound. Also... no low D gurgle.

Lacquer is no less than 95 percent and the neck is trauma free too.

The case is an original Conn tri-pack case with a blue alligator skin look. Very nice.

Very soon it will got to Jim Germann for a full Garmannized treatment plus a new thumb hook and relocation of the strap hook.

I am quite excited to be back on Planet Conn. I plan a spending more time here on SOTW too again. Sometimes you need to step away a bit.

The best part... other than a great sax is that it came with a vintage Myers Bros New York 5 medium and Brillhart 3* mouthpiece. Both of them play incredibly well. The Meyer is making me think about switching off from beloved Florida (No USA) Link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,723 Posts
Sweet!

Welcome back.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,586 Posts
Lucky dog.... She's purdy.... :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
very nice, congrats on finding it (not to mention the added bonus of the vintage mouthpieces). I've never had the opportunity to play one but I know they have a huge sound & are highly sought after.

enjoy

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Excellent score, and two nice mpcs to boot!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Congratulations! She is a beauty!

Now don't even think of ever selling this one again no matter what!

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dropped the horn off at Jim Germann's for a complete Germannization. This includes Jim's colored pad work.

What color? I told him black. Any thoughts? The case is a very dark blue... I thought that might look cool but decided to go black with black felt.

·
7,215 Posts
Dropped the horn off at Jim Germann's for a complete Germannization. This includes Jim's colored pad work.

What color? I told him black. Any thoughts? The case is a very dark blue... I thought that might look cool but decided to go black with black felt.
Good taste.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where have I been? We're making fashion statements with pad color now? I'll ask my wife if she's seen any saxes on Project Runway.
Jim's rebuilds are well known for their pad color. That way you know his work on top of the sax playing and feeling superb.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Conn 10M story has taken a cool turn. It has taken me a few days to put this all together.

I went to the guys house to test play the horn and I did not bring any cash with me. I decided to purchased the sax for 1000.00. While test playing the sax we shot the bull and struck up a really good conversation with him and his wife. They loved my dogs and he was very impressed with my saxothon.org

I went to the cash machine and got 800.00 in cash and wrote the guy a 200.00 check. After writing the check and counting out the cash I turned around to put the sax away in its case. I left my wallet and checkbook on his workbench while putting the sax away. I turn around pickup my wallet and checkbook and I went home a very happy camper.

The next day at work I go to pay for lunch and what is in my wallet? 200.00 in fresh cash that looks just like the type that came out of the cash machine... you know the look. Fresh.

I was surprised at first and figured I just made a mistake thinking I had less cash than I did. Over the last few days I checked my accounts and have realized that the seller put the money back in my wallet when I turned around. I KNOW FOR A FACT that I did not have that money after counting out his 800 dollars.

Way too cool. I will take 75.00 off of each piece I am selling and will donate the other 50.00 to saxothon.org. Everyone wins.

HUTMO

·
7,215 Posts
Wow, how cool is that?
Great horn and $200 back.

·
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is the only way I can account for the extra cash.

·
7,215 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts