Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ron called me and said my RPC MPC is ready to ship I will let you know how good it is on my new Keilwerth Nickel / Silver Tenor sax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Hey Grumps how are you ?
Doin' good. Ron called me also about a piece he's making for me. As it's intended as a back-up, there's no rush. Still... the last time I ordered a back-up custom made from him, it became my #1.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
.. the last time I ordered a back-up custom made from him, it became my #1.
That happened to me too...

These are great mpcs. Dogster, I forget, what model RPC are you getting?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Make sure you chat with Ron & ask him for what strength reed he recommends. I got my RPC & liked it...but LOVED it after I went from a 3M RJS to a 3S. Enjoy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
That happened to me too...

These are great mpcs. Dogster, I forget, what model RPC are you getting?
Ron's classic Rollover .105 as I recall - among the first designs Ron offered.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the MPC and it is a 120 high baffle and I am finding it more difficult to get the lower notes .Is it because I have a Keilwerth SX90 which is a larger bore or am I not use the the MPC yet ?

·
32,933 Posts
Well I got the MPC and it is a 120 high baffle and I am finding it more difficult to get the lower notes .Is it because I have a Keilwerth SX90 which is a larger bore or am I not use the the MPC yet ?
Huh? I thought your previous thread said that it was a .105 rollover. What were you expecting?

If it is intended for you: What reeds have you tried?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought it was a classic rollover 105 ? I have used what he sent me which is 2.5 reeds . Oh well I think its way to open for me

·
32,933 Posts
Time for a call. There's somebody else out there with another wrong RPC 'piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Take some time with it, and experiment with reeds.
Break in new ones, lig up,lig back sort of thing.

Find your center with each.

I would think that a high baffle RPC .120 would blow like a .105 -.108 Link, but I'm guessing.

·
32,933 Posts
Ok don't you think that a 120 is a little too open ?
No - but I play .120-.135 with rollover baffle.

For you, likely yes - especially if you talked with Ron and he suggested a .105 rollover.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have been playing it for the second day and I have used a softer reed and its working better however I need to generate more wind and stream to get it going . I guess I am not a very good player . I play the clarinet and flute very well and the alto sax is good . the tenor Keilwerth has been a little harder. It's making me want to sell my whole set-up and just concentrate on my other Instruments 1

·
32,933 Posts
Well I have been playing it for the second day...
Did you ever call Ron to confirm that this mouthpiece was intended for you and not a mailing mistake?

Maybe you shouldn't be playing it if it is intended for someone else.

If you just want to play a mouthpiece that is too large for you, PM me and I'll send you something.

This is not about working harder to get a good sound - practice, sure, but greater physical exertion for its own sake is not a good path.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you ever call Ron to confirm that this mouthpiece was intended for you and not a mailing mistake?

Maybe you shouldn't be playing it if it is intended for someone else.

If you just want to play a mouthpiece that is too large for you, PM me and I'll send you something.

This is not about working harder to get a good sound - practice, sure, but greater physical exertion for its own sake is not a good path.
Yes spoke to Ron and he told me some things to try and he made this one especially for me . He said me being a good flute player this MPC would
help me a lot with the sax. I will give it a few more days and he said he would redo it if needed .

Doug

1 - 20 of 77 Posts