Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
178xxx, think that dates it to maybe 51? My tech had it on the wall, had gone through it, new pads. Nice tone, intonation, plays great up and down - think I'm gonna like it. Man is it heavy... $1200. Came with original case. After I've played it for awhile I'll be looking for a better mpc.

Anyone got suggestions on a mpc? Right now I'm playing R&R so I'd like something with some bite, but still controllable. Maybe a metal one.

So glad to settle on something. I think I've played just about every available tenor in town at this point.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
Heavy?, mine weighs nothing compared to a new selmer, yamaha etc.

for cheap- Rico metalite, don't be fooled by the price, they really cook for that style
slightly more $$- runyon custom
getting expensive- bergs, jody jazz
really expensive- any of theo wanne's brighter mpc's.

I would start with a metalite, for $20 you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was testing it against a YTS-62II and some sort of a Bundy and it felt noticeably heavier than either of those. Maybe it was the way the weight was distributed. My digital bathroom scale pegs it at 7.0 lbs. Don't know how accurate that is.

Thanks for the input. I'm heading to the big music store tomorrow to try out some and I'll take your list.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I have one and use an older Brilhart Tonalite, Meyer 6M, Morgan Excalibur 6E and the real surprise is the Rico Metalite M5! I also like the B5 Rico Graftonite. Buy a set of the Ricos in your tip liking and for well under $100 you will have an A5, B5, C5 and M5. 4 good choices.
These Martins are not a mouthpiece problem horn....almost anything should work.

·
2,319 Posts
My favorites are a Ponzol M2 110 and a Berg 130/2 on a 186XXX tenor. The NY 7* STM also works well but not quite as loud as the Ponzol. I personally don't like the Metallite or Graftonites on my Martin, particularly in the bottom notes- too thin. Another one that works great is a Tonalin Great Neck Original finished by Beechler.

·
3,000 Posts

for cheap- Rico metalite, don't be fooled by the price, they really cook for that style
slightly more $$- runyon custom
getting expensive- bergs, jody jazz
really expensive- any of theo wanne's brighter mpc's.

I would start with a metalite, for $20 you can't go wrong.
Yes, that said I play a barone jazz 6*, but it's not really a R&R set-up.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't have many of the ones you folks were recommending so I just tried everything. Came home with a Link STM *7 and a Lakey Jazz 6-3. When I got home I discovered that the Lakey is really loud. Might be the one I use for the R&R gig. Played easier in the store. Probably the reed I was using there - think I must have left it. Thanks for the help. I'm sure this won't be the end of messing around with mpcs. Both seem much better than the Yam 4C.

·
3,000 Posts
Go with the link then, you'll have to work harder than the Lakey at first, but it will pay off.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, the Lakey is gonna take some time, and some searching for a reed that I'll like with it. Amazing how much different the old gal sounds with either of the mpcs, but especially the Lakey. My bird Larry is starting to complain about the volume level. :protest:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm sure Phil-Tone could cook something up for you.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Mouthpiece selection on these might well depend on the pads/boosters in the sax. If it has the original .160 pads with flat washers/rivets, it could still have enough projection and focus to suit most any need. Thicker pads and/or domed resonators tend to affect intonation and can take some 'thickness' out of the sound, sometimes resulting in a shrill upper register. Check out your mouthpiece thoroughly, including the bell tones. The sax naturally has big, booming low notes without that 'blatting' sound, and the timbre changes dramatically as you go up the scale. The higher notes have the projection you want with plenty of edge. Believe it or not, an original Brilhart Level Air, about a 7 or 7* with a #2.5 reed really honks with this horn.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
When I had a Martin Tenor it just sang real free with a Berg ss 100/1. These are nice horns. Enjoy.

·
Registered
318 Posts
With The Martin Tenors, I recommend Saxscape SL 15. for a bigger spread oldies tone. If you are looking for a little modern with warmth I'll go for Vandoren V16 HR. Both of these pieces are freeblowing so you can use a little harder reeds that will also thicken your sound concept. Oh, did I say altissimos are spot on the V16.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
A rubber Berg Larsen of about 110/3 might do the trick. I play a 130/1 on my Martin bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,286 Posts
6 mo old thread, guys. I bet he's found something by now. Anyway, I love pieces with just a bit more baffle than typical on Martins. You can get a great diversity of sound with a piece with just a little bite to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts