Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Sibelius

Votes: 13 54.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer? I used Sibelius in college, but it's been a long time and I could go either way now.

A friend of mine is a contemporary composer and he likes how Sibelius handles alternate notations, but I'm mostly doing jazz and pop arrangements.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
For me, I am worried about the future of Sibelius. Avid, the parent company, sacked the Sibelius developers a few years ago. Avid itself is not in that great of shape, and I don't really know how much they are spending on development of Sibelius.

Finale is owned by the company that now owns Alfred publishing. I see more of a future there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Finale is owned by the company that now owns Alfred publishing. I see more of a future there.
Absolutely agree. Avid has been having difficulties for years and the future for Sibelius is unknown.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
It sounds laborious, but if you've never tried either one you should see if there are trial versions and spend a hour with each one and see which one is more intuitive to you. I've used Sibelius for years, but always heard about the problems with the company- but so far it's still an option and I hate to learn a new system.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Finale seems like the software engineers just kept bodging stuff on over many years. The organization is completely scattered. The Windows version seems like it should be running on a PC with a floppy drive. I own a copy and took an arranging class using it. I'm looking forward to getting Sibelius. It seems much easier to use. my 2 cents

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,363 Posts
I've been a Sibelius user since version 1.0. Currently at 6.2. I don't like what Avid has done to Sibelius, but 6.2 does everything I need, and the learning curve is long behind me, so I would rather not switch, and I won't upgrade any further. Supposedly, Steinberg hired the old Sibelius development team to create a new product, but I haven't heard that they have anything on the market yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
I have joined the Musescore ranks as well. Sibelius can take their annual fee and stick it up their butts.

Musescore 2. beats both hands-down...and it's free.

Wrote an entire score before remembering to hit 'save'.
Don't even think about doing that with Sibelius.

cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have both Finale and Sibelius. I use a Mac laptop for most of my computer work. To me Finale is much more adaptable to my laptop than Sibelius. Sibelius seems awkward to me to use without a number pad. Also when Apple introduced the new version of the operating system we Mac users received an email from Makemusic warning that the current version of Finale had problems with the new version of the operating system and that Makemusic would be releasing a free upgrade within about a month. They met that timeframe. I was quite impressed with the warning and the care that Makemusic supplied to their users.

Avid simply posted information on their website.

My uses of these programs are relatively simple and I am sure I don't tax the capabilities of either one of them. But I am a happy camper with Finale.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,109 Posts
I've been a Sibelius user since version 1.0. Currently at 6.2. I don't like what Avid has done to Sibelius, but 6.2 does everything I need, and the learning curve is long behind me, so I would rather not switch, and I won't upgrade any further. Supposedly, Steinberg hired the old Sibelius development team to create a new product, but I haven't heard that they have anything on the market yet.
I am also a long term Sibelius user and happy with it up to Version 7, but worried about the future, including AVID's pricing model.

The new Steinberg notation product is called Dorico and is supposed to be released later this year - Quarter 4 2016 according to their website: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/dorico.html That will be well worth looking at, but I am not keen to learn a whole new product.

Rhys

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I like the workflow of sibelius a lot, but would not buy it anymore, because I think there will be no further developement and the new pricing scheme is just a rip off. For Jazz and Pop arrangements, musescore should do the job for free.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's always seemed to me that the best idea is to use what the people around you are using. If Sibelius is more popular in your community, use it, if it's finale use that.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,883 Posts
I use Finale, but I don't really care what anyone else uses. Just learn to lay out legible parts! Don't assume the software will do it properly for you!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've never used Finale or Sibelius but also found that musescore does everything I need but then again, I've only used it to transpose a couple of lead sheets though it's obviously capable of doing much more than that. It's hard to imagine you would need anything more complex for pop and jazz arrangements.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I don't use either as I find Logic much more useful due to its vastly superior and powerful use as a MIDI sequencer and DAW.

All of raft makes it more versatile and way better for doing mock upside clients - works well for me for everything, pop, jazz, choral and anything right up to symphony orchestra.

However nothing is perfect it does have one or two drew backs as they all do, but overall for me it beats any other application.

·
Banned
2,478 Posts
I am not keen to learn a whole new product.
Having Sibelius crash for the umpteenth time whilst attempting to save half an hour's toil provided enough incentive to spend an afternoon learning Musescore and was rewarded big time with it's easy intuitiveness.
Feeling guilty that a superior program to the bloated crash-ware was free, I invested some money in the 'Mastering Musescore' book.

cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I converted to Finale in 2013 and spent a year learning it (and sent in numerous bug reports in the meantime). Now I am on Finale 2014.5 and most of the bugs are gone.

Finale has gotten steadily more user-friendly. Using a small MIDI keyboard, I can enter a complete concert band score in a couple of afternoons.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I voted for Sibelius, as I chose that years ago over the competition and it has been stable for a number of years now. The past month I've started to tinker with Steinberg Dorico and it is running smoothly with no learning curve. I need to test out some longer pieces and see how Dorico handles those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,921 Posts
I voted for Sibelius, as I chose that years ago over the competition and it has been stable for a number of years now. The past month I've started to tinker with Steinberg Dorico and it is running smoothly with no learning curve. I need to test out some longer pieces and see how Dorico handles those.
Dorico looks very interesting. I like being able to combine sharps and flats in one key signature. Do you know if it is possible to use quarter tones in a key signature?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts