Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might have noticed, I'm a huge Cannonball fan, and I was recently trying to get my hands on the whole piece(for tenor) or just the tenor solo. If anyone has it, please post!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
You realize Cannonball plays alto, right? The personnel list says that the tenor player is Charles Lloyd.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I fully realize that Cannonball plays alto, he's my jazz idol. But I was just wond'rin if there's a transcription available for Tenor Sax. I guess I'll just have to borrow my friend's alto. Thanks

There is a tenor solo though, right? Maybe I'm mixing 2 pieces up. Anyways, I can't listen to it now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, ok. But IS there a transcription?? Just say no if not, and I'll shut up. Or give me a book link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
My senior recital in college was all Cannonball. I did 3 selections from Fiddler on the Roof: Fiddler on the Roof (AKA Tradition), Chavalah, and Sabbath Prayer. I used the published piano reduction from the play and my ear to copy the arrangements. I adjusted the instrumentation for Alto, Tenor, and Trombone. I swithced between flute and alto on Chavalah, and just played flute on Sabbath Prayer. If you have Finale, I can send you the scores.

Since the only one of those three with any real improv in it is Tradition, that's the only one where I transcibed Cannon's solo. I also did Vincent Herring solo from when the Louis Hayes Cannonball Legacy Band recorded it. Unfortunately, I did those by hand and never put them into the CPU. ;)

I've never come across anything else that had FOTR transcriptions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agent27 said:
My senior recital in college was all Cannonball. I did 3 selections from Fiddler on the Roof: Fiddler on the Roof (AKA Tradition), Chavalah, and Sabbath Prayer. I used the published piano reduction from the play and my ear to copy the arrangements. I adjusted the instrumentation for Alto, Tenor, and Trombone. I swithced between flute and alto on Chavalah, and just played flute on Sabbath Prayer. If you have Finale, I can send you the scores.

Since the only one of those three with any real improv in it is Tradition, that's the only one where I transcibed Cannon's solo. I also did Vincent Herring solo from when the Louis Hayes Cannonball Legacy Band recorded it. Unfortunately, I did those by hand and never put them into the CPU. ;)

I've never come across anything else that had FOTR transcriptions.

I have Finale. It would be great if you could send me the scores to [email protected] Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
If anyone else wants the Finale files, PM me. I might miss this thread if you reply to it and PM'ing me will make sure I see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts