Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of experimenting with synthetic reeds. First the Fibracell, which played good for a while, but then the film on the underside of the reed started to separate from the reed. Fortunately, someone from Fibracell musta read one of my earlier SOTW posts on the problem (didn't know whether to pull the film off or leave it on) and sent me a replacement. Still blowing fine. I then got a Legere Studio from WWBW after reading some good stuff on it in here. Wished I would have gotten a softer cut on the Legere. I like it, warmer than the Fibracell, but it's sometimes hard to get it started when entering my lower notes I've noticed. Wondering if I should stick with the Studio Cut and move to a softer strength, or give the Legere Signature wack. I understand the Signature #2 is softer than the Studio Cut #2. Gonna buy a box of Ricos tomorrow from WWBW, and the plan was to add a couple synthetics to the order (wanna reach that free delivery threshold), but kinda on the fence on the whole Legere thing. Was also thinking about the Bari Star reed. The Star is supposed to be darker than the regular Bari here,... I assume that means less buzz. Anyway, just was hoping to hear from those who've walked this trail before me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The studio is harder than the Signature. If it's only slightly harder you can adjust the reed with a sharp knife or sandpaper. Only scrape or sand in one direction towards the tip.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ericpd,

I never played Fibercells long enough to like or dislike them- they just didn't speak to me. So I can't comment.

The Bari * is a very buzzy reed. My issue with them is their flex- all synthetics flex at the heart when they get warm. Some flex more than others and some are made to respond better at optimal temperature. The Bari reeds seem to flex too much. If you are playing hard, loud, and aggressive, they simply can't take the pressure and flex right up to the piece, causing squeaks. Plis, their glass-smooth table side makes spit and moisture control aweful! There's no grain to channel or direct it- it just gets all over the corners of the lips!

Now for Légère:

The Classic series is the darkest of the three options, recommended for the concert player requiring a reed more conducive to ensemble environments.

The Studio Cut is an edgy, aggressive reed with a degree of buzz that is easy to blow and perfect for the pop/rock, and R&B player- a perfect soloist reed.

Finally, the Signature Series is very similar to the Studio Cut in that it has the potential to blow with an aggressive tone, but is designed to physically feel thicker and have a more solid, centered tone similar to American Jazz cut reeds while still allowing the performer to produce a bright, clear sound.

The difference in the tonal experience between the Signature and the Studio Cut reeds is like finding a cleaner fuel source for a fast car. Whereas the Studio is more down and dirty, the Signature is a bit more controlled, with a slightly cleaner altissimo register. Both are wonderful performers!
I am currently on Signatures for all my horns!

I hope this helps!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleared up a lot Rockstar. So the Bari in general is a brighter reed,... no matter which one you select. Think I'll stick to the original plan, soften up a little on the Studio Cut (1.75) and back that up with a signature (2.0). Just found a link to Legere's strength chart and it looks like their Classic goes down to a 1.75,... and according to that chart, it's almost as hard as Rico 3.0. Way to hard for me and the Barone mpc that came with my horn. The Signature (2.0) on the other hand, is as soft as a Rico 2.0. I wonder if that's a mis-print or if I'm reading it wrong. At 10 bucks, might even add on a back-up Fibracell. Thanks again for the response,... you too martin!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry for the delay, I've been in Canada.

I'm glad to help, Ericpd!

I really think you'll like the Legere Signatures once you find your appropriate strength. Legere's factory, though not huge, holds extremely tight quality standards! The reed temperances are really closely checked (REALLY CLOSELY!) and strength designations are much more accurate than ever before! Their staff are musicians and engineers and are obsessed with both form and function of the reeds. The new Signatures are their pride & joy, selling so fast that they can barely keep up with demand! You'd be surprised how many big name artists use them nowadays- especially those that are not on the website!!!

Enjoy, and if I can be of help, let me know!

BB

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Rockstar,... no worries. How'd the trip go? Almost immediately after reading your post, I called WWBW only to be told that Legere doesn't make a Studio Cut in a 1.75,... 2 is as low as they go with that model. Also got pounded with the news that they wouldn't be receiving anymore Signatures until late September and they were out of 2.0's. Now this is the funny part, I go to Legere's site and they list the Studio Cut down to 1.5,... wonder if they stopped producing those strengths and the cart on their site needs update. OR,... was the rep at WWBW out of touch with reality. In the end, WWBW didn't have any Legeres that was I could use,... I already have SC 2.0, but I'm thinkin' a softer SC would prolly give me more joy on the fairly open (at least fairly open for me) Barone mpc I wanna use it with. Good thing is, I noticed while on Legere's site that they do exchanges for folks who think they purchased the wrong strength. Maybe I'll call them today on that.

Anyway,... I walked away from WWBW with Box of V16's. That should do me for a bit,... and I'm familiar and comfortable with those. And as synthetics go,... think I'll just settle on Fibracell! At least until I get the urge to experiment again, or Legeres become more available,... or whichever comes first. Thanks again Rockstar!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts