Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The premiers have numbers that distinguishes between strengths by as much as a half as opposed to the traditional medium and medium hard. Is this a help? In other words, does the distinction between a 4 and 4.5 in the premier brand a big help in harnessing a better customized sound or unique fit for one's personal embouchure? I have the traditional ones and thinking of buying some premiers. Should I or no?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Fibracell's vary as much or more than cane reeds. They were much better 20 years ago when they 1st came out. I'll never waste my money on them again. The big selling point in synthetics is consistency once you can find a good mouthpiece match, if you can't rely on them from reed to reed, why bother.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I have been using the numbered ones for years and have had no problems with consistency. They match with my JJ pioeces well. The numbered system does help fine utne your hardness selsction. I found the others marked med. etc, varied in strength . I buy in batches of 4 each from them directly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I have been using the numbered ones for years and have had no problems with consistency. They match with my JJ pioeces well. The numbered system does help fine utne your hardness selsction. I found the others marked med. etc, varied in strength . I buy in batches of 4 each from them directly.
Neither have I had any inconsistency with Fibracells....that is one of the reasons why I use them....their consistency. I have no experience with the new numbered system; my supplier here does not stock them & my life is consequently simplified in that I order a couple of med/hard & everything works.

·
Registered
860 Posts
FWIW, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the Premier reeds - I have had good success with traditional Fibracell reeds (especially on alto), consistency was at least decent, but Premier just don't cut it - they're really very stuffy (maybe if one chose a "lighter" reed this'd go away - but I somehow doubt it, it feels built in) and less consistent (and somewhat less durable) than the traditional ones. So if you're satisfied with the traditional series, I'd stick with them. The Premier aren't a real upgrade anyway IMO (to say the least). If you want to try something else, Fiberreeds (Harry Hartmann's) are an interesting alternative; the Natural series match the traditional Fibracell reeds in tone, but offer a better overall sound (again, that's IMHO). If you want something with less edge, Hartmann's Natural Classic are good reeds with a very different, more refined tone, considerably more quiet - I use them for classical playing with my S80 on alto, never got a complaint.

M.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
FWIW, The latest, month ago, I tried again a premier 3 and it sounded like a kazzoo. The worst reed I've ever played.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Too soft a reed . Try a harder reed. Or maybe it doesn't match yuor mouthpiece or emboucher. Too soft and they are very buzzy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Funny what a variety of experiences everyone seems to have had with the Fibracell. I started out with the med/med. hard designations and moved over to the premier numbered line without mishap. As with any reed, the hardness numbers are relative but I've had excellent luck with a 3 or 3.5 on both alto and tenor for years now. I still use bamboo but not very much and certainly not when I want to show up and play and don't have time to warm up or get reeds wet. I've put off trying the Harry Hartmann reeds simply because the price point seems ridiculously high ($20 and up depending on the reed). Maybe sometime when I'm flush I'll give one a try but so far I'm happy with the Fibracell. As to number system vs. hardness labelling (soft, med soft, etc.) I can't tell there is much difference.
Peace.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fibracell's vary as much or more than cane reeds. They were much better 20 years ago when they 1st came out. I'll never waste my money on them again. The big selling point in synthetics is consistency once you can find a good mouthpiece match, if you can't rely on them from reed to reed, why bother.
Berg-Man, all reeds are inconsistent from reed to reed. I've blown many different brands. Reeds from the same box do not blow the same, worse yet, box to box. I'm yet to find a single box with two reeds that play the same.

The consistency of Fibracell may not be from reed to reed but consistency with each performance. It maintains the same sound for a very long time. Compare that to a reed playing well once or twice then never again. What we're talking here is longevity. Another word I must mention is what we've all been accustomed to on here is SUBJECTIVE. What may be consistent for one player is inconsistent for another.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm a fan of the premiers. The earlier ones were hard to match for me the 1/2 sizes allow more accuracy. 3.5 on alto and tenor Meyer 7G,Ponzol SSM2 110 3 on Bari Runyon Quantum 12.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
The Fibracell Premiers impressed me enough to use them regularly, especially on Baritone. They are the only synthetic reed to date to do so.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have tried several synthetic reeds and find that the Fibracell premiers are the best for me. I like a bright and edgy sound all the time. The only gripe I have is that the lettering and number size wear off the reeds after a couple weeks of playing, not a big thing but can be an annoyance if you have a number of different size Fibracells laying around...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm with you about the number markings wearing off, Madlou. It makes it a pain to keep different strengths separated and I so far haven't found a good way to mark them myself. I wonder if we could talk them into stamping the mark into the reed rather than just sticking it on. Maybe I'll give that a try at their web site.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
In my experience, I started to like them very much, both, until I heard a recording of myself. Then, I returned to Plasticovers.

Yes, Fibracells run soft, but if pushed, I prefer normal ones than Premiers.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my experience, I started to like them very much, both, until I heard a recording of myself. Then, I returned to Plasticovers.

Yes, Fibracells run soft, but if pushed, I prefer normal ones than Premiers.
The same could be said about any other reed. The recording equipment also makes a difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I finally got a fibracell reed to wear out the other day. I have never had a reed just quit in the middle of a performance before, but this one did. I thought I had a horn problem because it started out fine but started getting stuffy after a minute, then over the course of another minute it got softer and softer until I couldn't get any sound from the horn at all. I'm guessing that it started absorbing moisture and when it got saturated, that was the end of it making noise. There was no indication beforehand that the reed was going bad.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
This happened to me to but it turned out that the reed was delaminating. The thin layer of platic they put on the bottom began to separate from the rest of the reed. This created a little pocket that was catching the air I was blowing into the horn and just slamming the reed shut. I've played several older Fibracells on tenor and never had this problem but this is the second bari reed that has self-destructed in the last few months. I'm disappointed they have let their quality slip so much.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's why a sax player, well at least me, keeps at least two of everything!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with a delaminating fibracell. In fairness the reed and it's stablemate had been doing sterling service in a funk/soul/motown band for the best part of a year, so I can't really complain. While I'm a big fan of the fibracells, I have been doing more jazz gigs in the last few months and found myself drifting back to cane reeds. Bought a couple of boxes of RJS 2H. I'd forgotten how much easier the altissimo was with canes. I was nearly converted back, then a reed that had been perfect on Tuesday's gig (first time it had been played in anger, after the break in/preparation period) was unuseable on Wednesday's. I have a blues gig this friday, and a soul gig on saturday, and I think it's safe to say that i'll be back to the fibracells for both.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also have had a problem with my two last baritone reads delaminating. Both from the same batch, hope it doesn't continue. Sent e-mail to fibracell,
no answer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts