Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm currently playing a med. soft Fibracell on a Runyon Custom 9 on my baritone, and that reed is SOOOO easy to play. I can't get much of a sound out of that mouthpiece with a Vandoren ZZ 2.5, but it sings with the Fibracell. My only complaint is a slight buzziness to the tone. Would moving up to a medium take away some of the buzziness? I've also considered getting a med. hard for classical work because I like the tone I get out of the reed/sax combo so well. Would a med. hard reed be easier to play than a cane 3.5 that it compares to? Thanks!

Jim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
If you want a less buzzy sound get cane. Also, a 3.5 is kinda hard to be using on a Runyon 9 unless you have crazy chops, or just like hard reeds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh oops, I was actually gonna use the 3.5 on a Brilhart Special, which is quite a bit smaller. The custom is a bit too loud and bright to use for classical, I think.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
yes a harder reed would eliminate some of the buzziness and sound darker as you go harder.a fibracell i use a JJ classic (basically a one off runyon) and add the spoiler for my bari and love it. i use a 1 1/2 fibracell for a fat, dirty sound. the spoiler gives my vintage horn more power and projection. I can use anything from a 1 1/2 to a 3 depending on the tone I want and the range of the horn i'm gonna use.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think some of the "buzz" from Fibracells depends on the mouthpiece too.. some work really well with them, some don't. My bari metalite and alto ponzol work quite well with them, whereas cane works better for my tenor pieces and soprano. Most people seem to think they work better for larger instruments, but I don't know. I liked the one I used on bass clarinet for a couple months too.

·
4,147 Posts
maestroelite said:
I think some of the "buzz" from Fibracells depends on the mouthpiece too.. some work really well with them, some don't. My bari metalite and alto ponzol work quite well with them, whereas cane works better for my tenor pieces and soprano. Most people seem to think they work better for larger instruments, but I don't know. I liked the one I used on bass clarinet for a couple months too.

Yea, I guess they would work better on high baffle mouthpieces. I could imagine the ripping sound on a bari metallite...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Is the "buzz" audible to anyone else? Sometimes these sensations are limited to the person whose teeth are on the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly not. It's pretty inaudible...almost like turning the treble up too high on your speakers. It's a good sound, but I'd like to refine it a bit, and Fibracells are somewhat expensive to go buy on a whim, just to find out that what you were looking for didn't happen. I think I'll try a medium and see how that goes. Hopefully I'll be able to use the spoiler in my custom with a medium too :)

·
4,147 Posts
maestroelite said:
Of course you can, you heard me playing it Martinman.

Oh yea, forgot about that....

Yea, it RIPS!

I can just imagine me blowing one of those...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
akumaJFR said:
Possibly not. It's pretty inaudible...almost like turning the treble up too high on your speakers. It's a good sound, but I'd like to refine it a bit, and Fibracells are somewhat expensive to go buy on a whim, just to find out that what you were looking for didn't happen. I think I'll try a medium and see how that goes. Hopefully I'll be able to use the spoiler in my custom with a medium too :)
Buy the Premiums, which are numbered, (2, 2 1/2, etc.), not the regulars, (for lack of a better term), which come in soft, ms, etc. The Premiums are much more consistent in their strength and playability..........daryl

·
878 Posts
wersax said:
Buy the Premiums, which are numbered, (2, 2 1/2, etc.), not the regulars, (for lack of a better term), which come in soft, ms, etc. The Premiums are much more consistent in their strength and playability..........daryl
I agree 100%. I bought a regular and hated it and then a couple premiums and LOVED them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
does anyone know how to compare Alexander superial sizes to fibracell premium sizes (meaning the thickness or resistance size) ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts