Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen Fibracell's strength chart for the Premiers, but have also heard that these run soft. Can someone with real world experience let me know what strength Fibracell would be closest to:

Vandoren Java/Red Java/ZZ 3 or Rigotti Gold Jazz 2.5 Strong

These are the reeds I typically play.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If it helps, I feel that my Fibracell 2.5's (alto and tenor) run softer than my Rigotti Gold 2.5 mediums, and are closer to a 2.5 light. Maybe that's why they sound kinda buzzy to me (except on a Metalite alto for some reason).

So maybe try a 3? That's assuming the strength differences are linear and not, er, parabolic.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Don't know about the other Vandorens, but a 4.5 Fibracell feels around a 2.5 in Vandoren blue box, maybe even a bit softer.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it helps, I feel that my Fibracell 2.5's (alto and tenor) run softer than my Rigotti Gold 2.5 mediums, and are closer to a 2.5 light. Maybe that's why they sound kinda buzzy to me (except on a Metalite alto for some reason).

So maybe try a 3? That's assuming the strength differences are linear and not, er, parabolic.
Don't know about the other Vandorens, but a 4.5 Fibracell feels around a 2.5 in Vandoren blue box, maybe even a bit softer.

Well these two anecdotes are wildly different from each other. Anyone else have experience?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Christian is referring to the traditional cut "Vandoren Blue Box" reeds. Vandoren Java reeds are pop/jazz reeds and are cut to be more flexible. Fibracell 2.5 or 3 seem to be close to what you are used to.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
They do run soft, and buzz a lot, especially on alto. If you buy just one, go for the 3. I wish I had.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They do run soft, and buzz a lot, especially on alto. If you buy just one, go for the 3. I wish I had.
Yeah I used to play these before they switched to the number system. They were the closest synthetic to cane I could find at the time, and used them for a while. I will start with a 3 and see where that lands. I'll update this thread in case anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
15,488 Posts
I was using Legere reeds on tenor since they came out, but I found they have much more buzz for me than the Fibracells. (Both the Signature and Studio models).
I wanted to get away from the more buzzy thing and get something more pure, more clean with some warmth, and thats what the Fibracells provide me.

Honestly the best synthetic I ever played was the Hahn reeds...hands down. They were clear and pure with lots of power and none of the buzziness.
Its a real shame they aren't being made anymore.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This thread inspired me to haul out my Fibracell for last night's gig at a private party. Sounded great rehearsing on my own on my Kohlert Bixley stencil alto with a Selmer Super Session D. Both horn and mouthpiece are somewhat focused, which tamed the reed's buzz into a pleasing edge.

Alas, on stage it didn't go so well. Maybe it's because I've mostly been playing tenor of late and building up my airstream. Or maybe the packed house amped me up, or the sheer volume of my band and poor monitoring drove me to blow harder. For whatever reason, the reed started closing up on me badly during solos, and I had to switch it out, all too late. My own damned fault for not preparing better, of course.

So yes, definitely buy up a strength.

·
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the 3, it's like playing a piece of paper, way too soft. Way, way, way too soft. I'd probably have to get a 4 at least, and based on how this sounds, I doubt it would be worth. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
This is an OLD thread but I am also hearing the Fibracells run about 1 number softer than say a Vandoren Java or D'Addario Select Jazz. Do most Fibracell users agree?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Got the 3, it's like playing a piece of paper, way too soft. Way, way, way too soft. I'd probably have to get a 4 at least, and based on how this sounds, I doubt it would be worth. Very disappointed.
Goes to show You, we're not all built the same. I can blow a Fibracell 3.0, if I have to, but basically, it's too hard of a reed for me. 2.5's are what work best for me (and that's on a 7* Tone Edge).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I usually play 3 Green Java or Francois-Louis. Interestingly, a Fibracell 5 is what I have to use to get the same amount of tone and response on high notes I would get with a 3 in other reeds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts