Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in trying out these reeds, but I have one question: Which grading scale is Fibracell Premiere's grading scale closer to? Rico Royal's, or Vandoren's (blue box)?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i use the same grade fibracell that i used on rico. the proper strength i found is one that feels a little too stiff at first but after a few hours will break in nicely and last months. if it blows easily at first it will be too soft in about 10- 20 hours hours of play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I second what Saxxsymbol said.............daryl

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
I don't know "Premieres" from the regular Fibracells. I recently bought a few of the newest Fibracells from Hurling Frootmig . . . the one's rated numerically(1 1/2, 2, etc.) instead of by written description (SOFT, MED SOFT, etc.). My purpose was to see what improvements, if any, had been made in the product; and to see which strength worked best on my mouthpieces.

I've used Fibracells for years (SOFT and MED SOFT) and now have a 1 1/2 Fibracell on an alto piece. But, they don't work for me on all horns and on all mouthpieces.

My experience has been that Fibracells are stronger than their cane counterparts, and they don't lose any strength over time. They are very consistent, too. For me, I usually need a closer-tipped mouthpiece for Fibracells.

As to improvements? The new ones play as good as the old ones, but as I've written elsewhere, some matching-to-mouthpieces is required, which requires an assortment of mouthpieces as well as an assortment of Fibracells. The initial investment may be higher than the usual cane-reed-purchase, but once the player settles on the best strength and mouthpiece, the long-term attributes are positive. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
I don't know "Premieres" from the regular Fibracells. I recently bought a few of the newest Fibracells from Hurling Frootmig . . . the one's rated numerically(1 1/2, 2, etc.) instead of by written description (SOFT, MED SOFT, etc.). My purpose was to see what improvements, if any, had been made in the product; and to see which strength worked best on my mouthpieces.

I've used Fibracells for years (SOFT and MED SOFT) and now have a 1 1/2 Fibracell on an alto piece. But, they don't work for me on all horns and on all mouthpieces.

My experience has been that Fibracells are stronger than their cane counterparts, and they don't lose any strength over time. They are very consistent, too. For me, I usually need a closer-tipped mouthpiece for Fibracells.

As to improvements? The new ones play as good as the old ones, but as I've written elsewhere, some matching-to-mouthpieces is required, which requires an assortment of mouthpieces as well as an assortment of Fibracells. The initial investment may be higher than the usual cane-reed-purchase, but once the player settles on the best strength and mouthpiece, the long-term attributes are positive. DAVE
Dave, to me it sounds like you do know the new Premiers........daryl

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have looked at several reed comparison charts, but they never seem to agree... i play on 2.5/3 Rico Plasticovers. Does anybody know about what Fibracell Premier strength would roughly match up to these? Maybe a 2?

·
400 Posts
Mr. Sax,
I bought two of the Fibracell Premiers and was disappointed. They have an annoying buzz to them. Not my imagination either. SaintsDay was over and he noticed it right away. I went back to Rico Royals. Just my two cents.
Candy

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I've been playingthe graded strengths since they came out. I find a 2.5 fibracell matches up nicely with a 2.5 Vandoren V16 reed. Hope that helps. I find they do soften over time, a lot of time, but they do soften a little.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I stopped by two music stores yesterday and today... Neither of them had the Premiers in stock, so I picked up a MS for tenor and a M for baritone. I did notice the slight buzz they had, but I really like them. They were a bit stiffer than what I was previously using (Rico Royal 2.5/3 on tenor/bari), but I had no problem adjusting to them. Once I break them in, they should be perfect. Oh, did I mention these suckers are LOUUUUD? :twisted:

Edit: I'll probably pick up a S when the two mouthpieces I ordered come in... The MS works great on the 4C, but I have a feeling that the MS will be too stiff for me on the incoming pieces.

·
2,319 Posts
My impression is the 2.5 Fibracell is softer than the older style medium, so I moved to a 3 and it seems more like the older mediums.I've been using Fibracells for at least 10 years. There was a period where the Fibracell covering would peel off. I think they fixed this problem.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
candace , if the reeds were buzzing then they were too soft. the amazing thing about these reeds is you can blow 2 sizes too soft and they will still blow, just the tone will be dirty. try a harder one. too hard and your tone will have a sub tone quality to all your notes and sound airy but will still blow.

·
14,361 Posts
aviator: I don't think your question can be accurately answered. Just like mouthpieces, we all react diiferently to reeds. And, given the inconsistency of reeds, even in the same strength and cut from the same manufacturer, you may find one of those reeds to blow similarly, but the rest don't.

You just gotta try 'em.

My experience has been that Fibracells are VERY strong and powerful, but matched with the right mouthpiece, they play great. I have many mouthpieces and I went through all of them to find a soprano, alto, and clarinet match. I found them.

Now, I use Fibracells on clarinet and alto (1 1/2's), but not yet on soprano (as a main playing choice). I have a Fibracell soprano set-up, but it isn't my favorite. Good for travel purposes when I want a mouthpiece but have no room for a horn. DAVE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts