Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I got a 2 and a 2 1/2 Fibracell tenor from Amazon today. The 2 is much softer than the 2 I've been playing/liking. The 2 1/2 is softer than my 2! Can't keep either. I wrote Joyce @ MIRI/Fibracell to ask about inconsistency or anomalies. Going forward, my confidence is shaken. I need something that plays like a 2.5 cane, my 2 is close, these new ones are like dish rags. :<( Has anyone experienced this sort of inconsistency? Has Fibracell changed the strengths of the Premiers again in the past year? Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tried Fibracell a few weeks ago. The 2,5 played like my 2,0 Rico / 1,5 Alexander NY. Since the Comparision-Charts say something different I had to work my way up from 1,5. Maybe they decided to redefine their measurement points?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ordered Fibracell reeds a year ago for my clarinet. I ordered 2 and 2,5 as I play. Number 2 was too soft for me, 2,5 was hardly playable with mouthpiece, which required softer reed. Then I found out that, you must order +1 number, what you play usually. So 3 and 3,5 should be normal for me. I cut off a millimeter from number 2, and shaved it to playable. There is some strength charts in http://www.usareeds.com/reed-strength-chart.html

·
Registered
882 Posts
The 2.5 baritone reed I got a month ago was spot on for playing like a 2.5 Rico cane reed. I've always been happy with the Fibracells on baritone.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,606 Posts
I play on 3.5 and 4.0 Fibracells on alto and tenor.

I really like them on the 6m alto. I can cut through any amount of guitar thrashing, and still have great intonation from pp to fff.
And the altissimo is cleaner, and easier, and greater range that with any other reeds i have tried. Which is a lot.

But i have not tried them in 2.0 or 2.5.

Maybe it comes from playing them hard in RnR bands, but they play great for some time, then they suddenly fail.
Found that out on tour with no spare! I had some cane reeds. But not the same!

Dat
Sax
Man

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,606 Posts
P.S. Hardness is about right, at those values. No more different than the normal variation between brands, or even reeds from the same brand.

Dsm

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
They're pretty consistent -- a lot more so than a cane reed -- but they do vary slightly. More importantly, they're just over a 1/2 step softer than the Rico equivalent, so if you're playing on a 2, then a 2-1/2 or 3 (depending on how soft your 2 is) is probably a better bet.

FWIW, I use a RJS 3-Soft on tenor with a TW Durga 8*. I use a 4 Fibracell on the same setup.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,359 Posts
I find they are very inconsistent. A pain in the rear actually even though I play them on all my horns.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I find they are very inconsistent. A pain in the rear actually even though I play them on all my horns.
Interesting. I find Fibracell Premier reeds to be the opposite i.e. very consistent! I play them on all of my horns too, and apart from me feeling that they're softer than cane reeds (I need size 4 or 4.5 on alto and tenor even though I play with huge tip openings...see my sig) I'm happy with and buy 99% of the Fibracell reeds I try at my music store. However, I'm in Australia at the ***-end of the world and we tend to get old/er stock....perhaps there have been production changes at Fibracell that we are yet to experience here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,348 Posts
After a disappointing experience with Legeres (clarinet) about which I posted in another REED thread, I picked up two Fibracell Premier 1 1/2 clarinet reeds this afternoon at my local music store (Nick Rail's in Valencia, CA).

I just now tried them. Perfect! And, they played similarly - consistent. Thirdly, they were half the price of the two Legeres I bought a month or so ago, not considering the expense of doing the exchange. DAVE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts