Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried altering Fibracell reeds? Can they be spooned, etc. like regular cane reeds? How has it worked out?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've done some light sanding on Fibracells with good success. With cane, I scrape the vamps with a sharp pocket-knife blade while the reed is affixed to the mouthpiece, rinse, test, and repeat until the reed comes into playing shape.

But with Fibracells, I take them off the mouthpiece, place them on my work-bench and lightly sand the vamps using a fine-grit paper (don't recall the number - whatever is in the cabinet at the time), rinse, test, and repeat.

For me, Fibracells are tricky - and almost as inconsistent as cane in some ways. But when I get a good one, they are terrific for me on certain mouthpieces (clarinet and alto - haven't found the right combo for soprano yet and I've been through a number of different mouthpieces - oh, the close-tip pieces seem to work the best with Fibracells on soprano, but still they lack the huge sound that cane and open tips give me). DAVE

1 - 2 of 2 Posts