Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a few Fiberreed Hemp, Copper for different horns.
I picked up a set of Onyx off SATB and they were significantly softer.
And they don’t match the strength chart.
Particularly for Soprano and Alto.

On Alto, I use Java Green 2 1/2.
The Onyx Medium plays softer.
It also plays softer than a Copper 2.

Just a heads up.
I’ll use these though
Super easy low register

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,427 Posts
That's interesting - I use Fibereed 'Hemp' on baritone but have been wanting to try them on the other horns but had no frame of reference on what strength to order. IOW I know Java runs hard - I can't even play a V16 2 1/2 on tenor - I like Royal 2 1/2 and the old Glotin 2 1/2 that you can still find sometimes. The Onyx 2 1/2 might just be in the pocket.

9,427 Posts
Okay, I bought an Onyx 2 1/2 for tenor and finally got around to giving it a toot this morning while getting ready for a 6pm gig. I thought the strength was correct and the reed played pretty much as expected of any new 2 1/2 in that strength range. I decided it was a keeper although they have a very generous return/substitute policy (I bought it direct from the Hartmann web site which was the cheapest price I found). I found it to be surprisingly full in tone although too buzzy in the upper register - bear in mind I play a Guardala 'King Curtis'. Those of you playing other kinds of mouthpieces are probably going to love the Onyx. I liked it enough to keep it for further testing/possible use. The synthetics are getting better and better. Possibly there is another Fibereed that I would use on tenor. I also have a 'Hemp' that I only tooted for a minute that was also too bright with my mouthpiece but I'm using one on baritone that is perfect.

My favorite tenor reed right now is the long-discontinued Glotin 'Groove' 2 1/2 that I just discovered last year - wish I had tried them when they were current. One thing for sure - you may settle on a horn and mouthpiece, but there is no end to the reed hunt unless you find a synthetic that works. I think its a fun part of playing sax, trying new reeds and really enjoying it when you find good ones.

9,427 Posts
Still trying the Onyx on tenor every so often - still not digging it, but I have to say, as far as synthetics go, it is the only one that shows me any possibility of using on tenor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.