Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
Hey and welcome to SOTW :)

What mouthpiece are you using? I and and a few others here have found larger chamber mps work best for some reason with the SDA tenor. Did you get your sax checked with a tech after it was shipped to you? Leak maybe?

SDA's are great horns. Just try out some different setups. Be sure to have it looked over by someone who's familiar with Buffet saxes. They have their own quirks.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
funny TJ, I've found small chamber pieces play better with my SDA, and that G3, it's an invisible note for me. Not that I'm all that great with Altissimo to begin with.

Ive used Bergs, Rovner, Runyon, Link, Guy Hawkins, Vandoren, all work well on this horn from top to bottom, and it responds well to mpc changes as well.

It's the only tenor I have ever owned and played.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
I didn't know you're Buffet guy, Bill. :cool: I figured you a Selmer or JK type :)

There was some threads awhile back talking about using larger chamber Morgan's (I think). I sold my tenor a few months back, so I can't try again to see what worked best. Still have my alto. Luv that sucka!

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
yeah,. the horn is almost as old as me and I gain on it a bit Monday.
Put the Quantum on it today, and man it rocks!!

I've tried Mk6, SBA etc, but I am too used to the keywork on this horn. I do have a martin being rebuilt, can't wait to see how that plays. It was a flea market hulk I picked up for $25 about 20 years ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
With the stock neck, my SDA had decent altissimo, but the G3 was pretty tough to nail. I got a Barone neck and now the alt comes out with the greatest of ease and is perfectly in tune from E3 on up to A3, which are the usual alt notes I use. Above that, my own limitations come into play.

As much as I loved my SDA with the stock neck, the $250 I paid for the Barone neck has got to be the best money I've ever spent on my tenor sound. In addition to the alt improvement, everything else got better too.

I hate to be the guy pointing to an expensive purchase as a silver bullet, but there's something magical about the way the Barone neck matches up with my SDA tenor. It doesn't matter what kind of mouthpiece I'm using, though I tend to agree that large-chambered pieces are the best match for the SDA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bobby but as I said above I have tried all those fingerings...I'm fairly sure it's a case of me needing to get used to a new make of horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,404 Posts
I got it used. They pop up on SOTW sometimes. I think Phil is selling some on Ebay. If you can get one for $250 or less, jump on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts