Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,223 Posts
Overall I really like your approach to the alto- so many people overplay it and get a thin, bright sound- I love that you have a nice relaxed quality to your sound and playing. Here are some specific things I heard in each tune:

Bye Bye Blackbird: I'd watch out for the note bending and intonation- try to keep the embouchure more secure and consistent as it will help with the pitch. I do like your relaxed sound though! A consistent embouchure won't take that away, but it will just make the tone and pitch more consistent throughout the range of the instrument (your tendency was to be a little flat).

Corcovado: Your sound fits this tune perfectly! I'm hearing the same pitch issues in this tune as well, but not as pronounced as in Blackbird. I like the way you play the melody! In the solo, watch out for accenting downbeats- it can work sometimes, but you did it a lot, and in a bossa nova the push needs to be felt more on the upbeat. Also take care to not over blow when you're getting louder- it's fine to bring the intensity and volume up, but don't let the pitch and tone quality suffer (because you have a nice sound!!)

Fly Me to the Moon: Be careful not to rush the quarter notes in the melody! It's a really tough thing to lay back enough on a slow swing, but try to hear a syllable in between the quarter notes to really lay them back into the pocket. I hear an "N" sound in between quarter notes- it helps to not rush them.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I like your ideas. You sounded very fluent, expressive, and relaxed up and down the horn. It was like you were having a conversation with the audience. I agree with Dave's comments about tuning and embouchure. Nice work!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
1+ what he said
Overall I really like your approach to the alto- so many people overplay it and get a thin, bright sound- I love that you have a nice relaxed quality to your sound and playing. Here are some specific things I heard in each tune:

Bye Bye Blackbird: I'd watch out for the note bending and intonation- try to keep the embouchure more secure and consistent as it will help with the pitch. I do like your relaxed sound though! A consistent embouchure won't take that away, but it will just make the tone and pitch more consistent throughout the range of the instrument (your tendency was to be a little flat).

Corcovado: Your sound fits this tune perfectly! I'm hearing the same pitch issues in this tune as well, but not as pronounced as in Blackbird. I like the way you play the melody! In the solo, watch out for accenting downbeats- it can work sometimes, but you did it a lot, and in a bossa nova the push needs to be felt more on the upbeat. Also take care to not over blow when you're getting louder- it's fine to bring the intensity and volume up, but don't let the pitch and tone quality suffer (because you have a nice sound!!)

Fly Me to the Moon: Be careful not to rush the quarter notes in the melody! It's a really tough thing to lay back enough on a slow swing, but try to hear a syllable in between the quarter notes to really lay them back into the pocket. I hear an "N" sound in between quarter notes- it helps to not rush them.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, thanks to all for taking time and giving generally such a positive feedback.

I take all positives very carefully and "negatives" seriously. Here are all not just jazz people but some PROS and sax people who know sax in and out. I never had a sax teacher but fall in love with Jazz from age 12, when started bass and guitar (back to Russia, 23 years in Canada, I am 59 years young).
The general public loves my sax doings. But forums' opinion is different benchmark. I am comfortable with impro (on my reachable level). Love to transcribe complex impros. Not always learning them. But the process itself is FUN. Just no time for full sax dedication + reeds struggle + myself.
I know here no needs for excuses. Very friendly and open community here... Thanks.

Dave, thanks for constructive advices and notes!

One thing for sure... for the time being on forum I got some advices that helped to improve a lot. Beside my day job I am trying to play at least an hour a day (better than nothing :)) and to do TOTM :).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,223 Posts
First, thanks to all for taking time and giving generally such a positive feedback.

I take all positives very carefully and "negatives" seriously. Here are all not just jazz people but some PROS and sax people who know sax in and out. I never had a sax teacher but fall in love with Jazz from age 12, when started bass and guitar (back to Russia, 23 years in Canada, I am 59 years young).
The general public loves my sax doings. But forums' opinion is different benchmark. I am comfortable with impro (on my reachable level). Love to transcribe complex impros. Not always learning them. But the process itself is FUN. Just no time for full sax dedication + reeds struggle + myself.
I know here no needs for excuses. Very friendly and open community here... Thanks.

Dave, thanks for constructive advices and notes!

One thing for sure... for the time being on forum I got some advices that helped to improve a lot. Beside my day job I am trying to play at least an hour a day (better than nothing :)) and to do TOTM :).
That's great to hear! My belief is that we can always find ways to improve and hone our craft, as well as have more fun doing what we love. It's awesome to hear you're loving what you do and you get a chance to do it- keep going!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts