Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having this tonight with fresh spinach fettuccine. It's very easy to cook. You boil your pasta with some salt, drain it then throw it back in the pot with enough heavy cream to cover the pasta but not too much! Mix it then add some fresh grated romano cheese. You can also add a egg yolk and a little parmesan cheese if you want more bite. You can knock this out in fifteen minutes, it'simple and delicious but very fattening and hard on the heart but I don't care. I also have some leftover meatballs from a couple of nights ago that came out fantastic. Then I'm going to practice some piano. The perfect end to a night. Phil

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil, if you ever come to Colorado, I'll let you use my cast iron skillet that I bought in Long Island 30 years ago ...
I used to love to cook in cast iron, had a few of them, all vintage. The heat is evenly distributed and it's healthy too. Thanks, I just might take you up on that. What do you like to cook? Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,035 Posts
Philsy; you're killing me there. Does that ever sound good! I love anything Alfredo! I always season my pasta or rice with salt, pepper and butter. You can eat it plain just like that and its good. And, that iron skillet sounds good too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks, Phil. I've tried making this for my daughter, who loves the stuff, but I've yet to make a decent batch. This sounds easy enough for even me. What brand pasta do you favor- or does it matter?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I used to love to cook in cast iron, had a few of them, all vintage. The heat is evenly distributed and it's healthy too. Thanks, I just might take you up on that. What do you like to cook? Phil
I don't have a preference as long as it is good. Slightly allergic to garlic, though, but it depends on how it is prepared.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Philsy; you're killing me there. Does that ever sound good! I love anything Alfredo! I always season my pasta or rice with salt, pepper and butter. You can eat it plain just like that and its good. And, that iron skillet sounds good too.
Yeah, I forgot the pepper but it should be fresh ground. And pasta with just butter and a little cheese is delicious and so simple to make. I also found some Brie in my frig so I left that out to get a little warm before I eat it and I have some nice Greek olives too, I think I'll start out with the cheese and olives. Phil

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Phil. I've tried making this for my daughter, who loves the stuff, but I've yet to make a decent batch. This sounds easy enough for even me. What brand pasta do you favor- or does it matter?
You have to make sure you don't dry it out so make sure you use low flame when you put the pasta and cream in, that's an easy mistake to make. Tonight I'm using fresh made pasta but normally I'd use DeCecco. It's made with Durhum semolina. It doesn't have to be DeCecco, just make sure it's made with Durhum semolina and that it's imported from Italy. It might cost a little more than Ronzoni which isn't bad but it's worth it. Let me know how you make out. Phil

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You’d better know that there’s nothing even similar to “fettuccine Alfredo” in the Italian cuisine.
Why had I'd better know that? What is the purpose of your post other than to put someone down? When I was in Italy I had a pasta dish with cream, cheese, capers and shallots and it was pretty damn close to what we call fettuccine alfredo. And I'd bet you dollars to donuts that somewhere in Italy someone is making fettuccine with cream and cheese. It's a no-brainer. Phil Barone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,500 Posts
You tell'im, Phil! :)

And I hear that chicken chow mein isn't a Chinese dish.

Ditto on that iron skillet. I use it for making killer cornbread.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Why had I'd better know that? What is the purpose of your post other than to put someone down? When I was in Italy I had a pasta dish with cream, cheese, capers and shallots and it was pretty damn close to what we call fettuccine alfredo. And I'd bet you dollars to donuts that somewhere in Italy someone is making fettuccine with cream and cheese. It's a no-brainer. Phil Barone
I'm not telling that Fettuccine Alfredo is not a tasty dish, I'm only stating that it's as Italian as a Big Mac.

Sure there's people making pasta with cream in Italy, and there are many more that are now cooking Big Mac. And that doesn't make any of those dishes typically Italian.
What you call Fettuccine Alfredo is derived from Italian "pasta al burro".
But we use butter instead of heavy cream (which is extremely uncommon in Italy) and Parmigiano instead of parmesan (because, you know, we have the original cheese and we don't need the knock-offs that are sold worldwide). So there's very little in common. Nothing beside the fettuccine, actually...

But you've been in Italy once, so maybe you know better than me that I've been living here for 37 years...

If you feel "put down" by the fact that they told you a culinary lie for your entire life it's not my fault.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Al Burro, Al Fredo, Big Al ... who cares? It all sounds great!!!!

If I were rich I'd fly to your place for dinner Phil! And the next night to Italy for some fettucine al burro... Oh well, if wishes were fishes we'd all live in the sea.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,160 Posts
I had no clue that this dish could evoke controversy akin to that which occurs when I make the unremarkable observation that chili has no beans.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts