Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm Fester I am new to this forum & hoping for the best! I am a novice to these sites and initially registered & left a question about my new/old sax on another popular forum…and after a week..."zilch"...I see however on this site, people actually respond
I just found a 1923 Buescher True Tone SN# 139572. I bought it cheap (I think) and my "bucket list" quest is to see if I can bring it back to life & then learn to play it (yes I said learn to play it).
I picked the C-MEL because I wanted it to be “out of the ordinary” (at least for modern times) and my passion is antiques anyway & this clearly qualifies.... I've been researching & soaking up C Melody info like a sponge & I know I made the right choice. This sax has no dents and had no repairs...it is silver (almost black) & had a good neck but no MP or case....I started cleaning it with "Silver Foam' and so far I am happy!
Now my (initial) questions...
A) I know the year, and the SN (139572) but what else can I learn from that about my sax (model, date, ????)
B) I am going to try to get period MP, Reeds, lig etc… what brand names I should search for?
C) while cleaning it (I am confident by closely examining the area, it was not existing and I or father time at any rate did it) the support post between the bell & body "let go" at the body.....Is that a big deal repair (new solder /super glue)...or am I screwed)?
"Hoping for a reply!"
Fester

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hi Fester, welcome to SOTW. In reverse order, here is my reply: The support post should be resoldered with silver solder. Take it to a local instrument repair shop and they should get it back on for $20 or less. If you want vintage MP you should expect a vintage sound (see youtube -rudy wiedoeft). You can buy C mouthpieces on Ebay, expect to pay $50 - $100 for one. Then you need C reeds. I think the only place selling them is Aquilasax.com. As for brands, you really can only find vintage MP from the major manufacturers of that time - Conn, Holton, King and Buescher. What else can you learn about your sax? You know the important details already - just play it! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Yo Fester...Definitely visit the C Melody forum and see what others have posted. It and the Buescher forum are great resources if you have a bit of time to search and explore.

Vintage C melody mouthpieces and cases are pretty easy to find - put in a marketplace ad or scour eBay and you will find some. The best reed if you can't find C reeds is bass clarinet, then tenor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on finding a horn you feel some passion for. You'll find lots of vintage horn players on here and more than a couple with C Melody horns. I'm sure they will help you discover a lot about the history of your Buescher. As to the brace from the body to the bell, I'd take it to a good tech. Shouldn't be all that big a deal. Don't know where you live or what resources you have, but a good going over by a tech will assure you of a good start with your new endeavor. I'm having both of my tenors repaded this year after 24 years and 20 years of use with just some adjustments here and there.

Have fun and good luck! And let us know how it is shaping up for you.
Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I look forward to talking with you folks and "picking your brains"...OK so do I reply to the individual replys?
I will take all your advice on the post repair & I know I will need to get pads, felts corks & adjustments anyway before I can start trying to play it. Back to the MP & reeds...will the vintage play the best or will modern productions/reproductions be as good or better quality sound? I realize modern technology may have improved the sound and may not...ant thoughts?
Fester

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
On the bell to body brace repair soft soldering works the best. DO NOT try to superglue it yourself, that just makes soldering more difficult and time consuming because of the clean up. Once the brace is reattached, it is almost certain that the low B and C# keys will need to be realigned because the bell section has moved slightly.

Restoring old silver finish saxophones has been my passion for many years. Some of the tips I have learned along the way include the following:

- Haggerty's silver polish, especially the spray works very well and provides a tarnish resistant finish.

- An old table leg or softball bat cut off, put in a vice, and wrapped with a cloth and pushed inside the bell provides a good fixture to hold the sax to "rag polish" the body.

- Once the sax is polished, two Drs. Gleam Anti-Tarnish Sachets kept in the case will inhibit future tarnish.

- Caswell's Silversmith/Silverplater is useful to "touch-up" spots where the silver plating has worn off.

- If you are planning to replace the pads yourself, send me an email and I will take you through the steps I use and some recommendations based upon my experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! ...I started using Haggerty's silver Foam because I was unsure of the spray so thanks for that! I was kidding about the super glue (but wondering if anyone would comment)...I dont have a case but keep it wrapped it in a "Pacific Silver Cloth" . The holding technique sounds like a great idea thanks! I thought about tring to replace the pads but felt like as I dont know squat & I imagine there is "fitting and adjusting" needed along with it that I might be over my head on that...But it I could replace them and save some dough understanding it still would need a professional to "tweak" than maybe I would consider it....I think it has "snap-ons" & I see there are places to get them....I will send you an email too...thanks for the invitation!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
Congratulations on your Buescher C tenor. They are excellent instruments, I have one very close to your serial number, mine is #131xxx.
I use an original C melody piece for a sound which most tenor players could consider stuffy, or a high baffle tenor piece which screams a totally different sound.
In both cases I use Bass clarinet reeds or tenor reeds, on the original C melody piece is possible to use alto reeds also, but I prefer the tenor ones.
My C melody: http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/lepoisondargent/King C soprano/cmel.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Man your sax looks great! Hope mine will too...Fester

·
Registered
183 Posts
Amazingly enough, I too am new here, and I too just got a Buescher C-Mel, and I too an intending to learn to play it. Mine is # 87037 (1921) True Tone. "Low Pitch" Mine is definitely in need of at least 2 pads (D & E) and something funky is going on trying to play high G, but all in all, it's not a bad horn.

Now, here's the oart that addresses Fester big question.

Mine came with a Buescher C Mel Mpc, and a couple of old reeds. The reeds probably aren't worth anything except for size reference. But I tried both Alto and Tenor reeds on the mouthpiece, and got that famous "stuffy" sound. Then I put a new Yahama alto Mpc on it, and a completely different sound emerges. Bright and hot. The 2 Mpcs are almost exactly the same length, and the alto Mpc seems capable of staying reasonably well on pitch. (The second octave seems a bit sharp. It will be hard to be sure until I get the pads replaced and can play cleanly from one end of the range to the other.)

But the alto Mpc is an interesting option to consider.

Rico recommends bass clarinet reeds for C'mel Mpcs... (http://ricoreeds.blogspot.com/2009/04/c-melody-sax-reeds.html) possibly because they still make bass clarinet reeds, but not C reeds.

As a self-taught player, I'm pretty certain I'm doing a lot of basic things wrong. (I played oboe for a few years in my childhood, but the rest I'm making up as I go along.) Anyone know of a good basic How-To online for playing sax? (I know that sounds silly, but at this point I'm not quite ready for a teacher and lessons – that will come – but I'd like to avoid forming any more bad habits in the meantime.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man! I am just starting now to look at the MP issue so I will check that out! I so apporeciate the comments ref self teaching...I feel the same but have NO background...But I'm motivated. As for lessons, I found a ton of free on-line stuf just by GOOGLEing "saxaphone videos" Also check out this SAX on the web site:
http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources/Sitemap.html
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
I have just spotted this thread....I, and others, have been responding to Fester's questions on the C board....is it possible to combine both threads into one?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah...I was getting replies from different folks on each so I wasnt sure what to do....I guess I will just move to the C Melody threads...If anybody here has anything to share with Fester, Thats where i'll be...If not Thank you all who replied so much....you made me feel welcome! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
- If you are planning to replace the pads yourself, send me an email and I will take you through the steps I use and some recommendations based upon my experience.
jbtsax
I am not sure how to send you an email ref the above?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will sennd you the link as soon as I get to my computer.....give me a few!
Festeri

1 - 19 of 19 Posts