Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,463 Posts
I think they are a great addition to one's library. Quite melodic compared to many others which come across as purely technical. Somewhere in my CD collection I have a saxophone recording of the Ferling studies which is a nice reference when working through them.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Agree with the above posters - "grist for the mill".

My first sax teacher was Sadao Watanabe and we used only three sources: Joseph Viola, Charlie Parker and - Ferling.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Aren't the Rose 32 etudes for clarinet based on the Ferling etudes? I like those, and there is a piano accompaniment as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,664 Posts
Feeling are considered first thing to study in many colleges. Work on control, chops, flexibility , intonation etc . That was my first college study.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ferling is a staple at most universities in the course of study. It's outstanding feature is the detailed phrasing requirements that must be followed: extreme dynamics, breathing places, et. At the high school level, All-State auditions usually require 3 Ferling etudes for the competition. You can buy it as a Leduc (French) version for over 40$. Southern Music in San Antonio sells theirs for under $10. At least that's the way it was when I was actively teaching 5 years ago. Essential music for every saxophone student IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts