Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing repairs at my new job on saxes, clarinets, flutes, etc, and I've come across more instruments without felts beneath the pads than instruments with, and I have to ask.... Why do people choose to repair them this way instead of putting th eflets on?

(obvious answers aplenty, I'm sure... expenses, shoddy repair, etc)... but is it in fact unnecessary?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
What do they have on there instead of felt? Or could it be they weren't stuck on too well?

I only put felt discs on the keys that need them - underside of the front F button and the LH middle finger button, and on some tenors (Keilwerth, Selmer, Yanagisawa and Yamaha 61 series) they need one on the LH 3 button, and old altos and tenors with the RH forked Eb mechanism need one under the RH 2 button.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Felts and corks on keys are often used today solely due to "tradition" of yesteryear. Today we have products available (which were not available even 5 years ago) which are superior. Not all felts are created equal either. Some of them are so poor that they often "splay" out and get compressed easily causing adjustment problems after the fact for the player. Any material which will adhere, hold adjustment, suppress key noise, while also not being affected by age and wear are desired and used in our shop. Lots of opinions and materials available which work better than the old standards. IMO...as usual.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts