Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, as you may know I work @ Sam Ash Music in Richmond, VA. I try to know as much as I can about value's of horns, but from time to time I like to ask advice from the community about particular horns.

Basically have a gentleman who has a Mark VII tenor saxophone that he says has not be relacquered. I have the serial # for the horn and know it does not have the selmer case but rather a pro-tec case with it. Basically wondering a good average price that will move this horn so I don't necessarily pay too much. It's not MINT but not terrible. It's god lacquer wear, and minor nicks/scratches. No major dents or dings. The neck was modified w/ a brace on the bottom of it. I want to help my customer out as much as I can. Any help would be wonderful. He is gonna send me pictures soon so if anybody wanted to see it to help determine a good price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is a nice on on ebay right now selling at $1999 in great shape with less than a day to go and only one bid at present. I would watch that one as a guide...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,883 Posts
prices for a VII tenor in the States rarely go above the 2000$, but as a shop you can get away with 2500$ (as discussed in another thread), in Europe you can sell one for more.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Completed auctions here--but you may need to be logged in as a member to view.

Three recent completed sales: $1899 (260K - 1976), $1913 (297K), $2000 (240K - 1975 - evidence of neck pull-down)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always use Ebay to reference but the Mark VII's have gone up and down over the years I wanted to hear everyone's opinions. Pretty sure it's gonna be marked between 2000-2500 when I get it. We've discussed everything yesterday. Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
If you mean that you'll have to pay $2000 or up, your profit margin, if any, will be miniscule. You should post pictures for opinions on whether the lacquer is original or not, notwithstanding the seller's representation.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
nono I've discussed buying it so I can mark it between those prices. I think I'll be fine to sell it :) Thanks
That makes sense--I still occasionally regret selling my VII alto. They are underrated and undervalued instruments, IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.