Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, as you may know I work @ Sam Ash Music in Richmond, VA. I try to know as much as I can about value's of horns, but from time to time I like to ask advice from the community about particular horns.

Basically have a gentleman who has a Mark VII tenor saxophone that he says has not be relacquered. I have the serial # for the horn and know it does not have the selmer case but rather a pro-tec case with it. Basically wondering a good average price that will move this horn so I don't necessarily pay too much. It's not MINT but not terrible. It's god lacquer wear, and minor nicks/scratches. No major dents or dings. The neck was modified w/ a brace on the bottom of it. I want to help my customer out as much as I can. Any help would be wonderful. He is gonna send me pictures soon so if anybody wanted to see it to help determine a good price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is a nice on on ebay right now selling at $1999 in great shape with less than a day to go and only one bid at present. I would watch that one as a guide...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts
prices for a VII tenor in the States rarely go above the 2000$, but as a shop you can get away with 2500$ (as discussed in another thread), in Europe you can sell one for more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
As a dealer, you could probably sell it for least $2500.
Not with a modified neck brace added to it. Probably was the victim of a pull-down, and as such would severely devalue the horn.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Completed auctions here--but you may need to be logged in as a member to view.

Three recent completed sales: $1899 (260K - 1976), $1913 (297K), $2000 (240K - 1975 - evidence of neck pull-down)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always use Ebay to reference but the Mark VII's have gone up and down over the years I wanted to hear everyone's opinions. Pretty sure it's gonna be marked between 2000-2500 when I get it. We've discussed everything yesterday. Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
If you mean that you'll have to pay $2000 or up, your profit margin, if any, will be miniscule. You should post pictures for opinions on whether the lacquer is original or not, notwithstanding the seller's representation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
My local Sam Ash had a VII tenor for $2500
It sold, but not sure if they got asking price or not

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nono I've discussed buying it so I can mark it between those prices. I think I'll be fine to sell it :) Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
nono I've discussed buying it so I can mark it between those prices. I think I'll be fine to sell it :) Thanks
That makes sense--I still occasionally regret selling my VII alto. They are underrated and undervalued instruments, IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
You should post pictures for opinions on whether the lacquer is original or not, notwithstanding the seller's representation.
Agreed. Also have to wonder what happened to the original case. Those cases were solid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts