Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feedback wanted on: TM New Early Babbitt Otto Link tenor mouthpiece

I'd like to hear from players who have played this mpc, their impressions and what horn and reed was used.
thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bari and Flute, if you bend my arm > Clarinet
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks elquapo...

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
This clip of Joel is very representative of the piece. Dark and edgy at the same time. The TMEB is everything the current Otto Link Tone Edge should be. FWIW, I get a little more aggressive sound than him I think, but that's just the way I play.

The facing on mine is a little unbalanced and the table isn't flat so be aware that although the interior shape and baffle profile are great, it's still Babbitt doing the QC. I played one of these and a Drake Getz side by side and although the Getz was easier to play (probably because its facing was more proper), the TM blew it away in the tone and expressiveness department.

I plan on having some work done on mine to flatten the table and even the facing out when I find a mpc I like as much or more, but it's really enjoyable to play as is although a bit tricky in the low end.

This has ended the search for a rubber mpc I could stay with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,354 Posts
I have been playing on one for over a month now and it has become my main piece. I use rigotti 3. or 2 1/2.
It has taken over my soloist which I played for over 2 years.
I always liked the HR link sound but got a little fed up with the flaws most of them have. this one does just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts