Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've chosen "Lady Bird", written by Tadd Dameron, for February's tune.

Here's a great version by Dex :

The lead sheet is in the real book, and can also be found here :
http://www.wikifonia.org/node/122#/C/0/1

I found a couple of backing tracks .. both of them are at a more leisurely pace :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFuM2X35WsY

http://www.jamtracks.ru/mpjam/Jazz/Ladybird.mp3

It seems to be a fairly popular tune, hopefully it hasn't been "played out" for most !

I'm looking forward to everyone's takes ... so post away !! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Brendan - feel like I say this every month, but this really is a terrific call! I'll share my enthusiasm by providing some reasons why:

It's a great tune with some really interesting harmonic wrinkles. Fun tune to blow over.

Tadd Dameron was a great and underrated composer. In addition, he was one of the early architechts of the bebop style along with Monk, Bird, Dizzy.

I'd consider it an essential tune for anyone learning standard jazz repetoire. Real staple for jam sessions and dates with pick-up groups.

Here's a later Dexter Gordon version where they use Half Nelson as a counter-melody. Al Cohn is on the other tenor with Sam Noto and Blue Mitchell on trumpets.
Lady Bird/Half Nelson

For something a little more laid back, love the arrangement on this one...Lady Bird going out, Half Nelson comin' home.
Lady Bird Billy Taylor with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz

Tadd Dameron's classic 1948 version
Lady Bird Dmeron-Fats Navarro

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,442 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Forget about that Vol 70 backing, thanks Nobby. So, for anyone using the JA tracks... Vol 36 Bebop & Beyond has a little brighter tempo... Vol 70 is more moderate tempo very in the pocket feel. Nice groove!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Here's my baseline tenor saxophone attmpt using the mid-tempo vol. 70 backing. Just played through a couple times at the slow tempo and tried a couple with the more uptempo vol 36 backing, this was the first complete take...

Lady Bird

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that's how I want to solo .. relaxed and not bound by the bar lines. Fantastic !!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Great tune. Here is one of my favourite versions by an early incarnation of the Jazz Messengers featuring Kenny Dorham and Hank Mobley:

Also here is the original version of Half Nelson - the bebop melody written over the chords to Lady Bird, albeit with an extra harmonic shift in the 7th and 8th measures. It's one of my favourite recordings since it features Charlie Parker on tenor which is always a joy to hear.

And finally, I thought I might as well post a clip I recorded of Half Nelson back in 2011. It's not a complete performance, just a few choruses practising with old Jamey Aebersold:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Awesome choice, Brendan! Was considering it myself a couple of months ago; I'm glad you picked it. Form not too long, but not without a twist or two, like measures 2 and 3 a ii V7 in F but then we get D major again for a couple of measures. (Tenor sax keys.) And then we head for Bb major. I guess it's worth remembering that Bb is the b6 that appears in the D Maj bebop scale, so it's not that out of place. Anyway somehow the lines seem to come out OK on this without too much analysis, though maybe more analysis will help me. Fun to play.

Sorry about dropping out of the latter half of the 500 thread... other non-musical and musical obligations (choral society Messiah, including my first public bass solo) intervened, plus I felt like I didn't really get together any major advances over my early take. I did spend a lot of useful time shedding over the minor ii V7 i and V7alt i that occur in it... and figuring out note choices over the other sections; I really enjoyed that pick, StrongD.

Incidentally, there's also an Aebersold vol. 99 "Tadd Dameron: Soultrane" that has a nice Ladybird, somewhat slower than vol. 36, but to my ear easier to play with than is vol. 70. Vol. 99 has Rufus Reid on bass, Andy LaVerne on piano, and John Riley on drums. I don't know the latter two but Reid is a top bass player. Vol. 36 worked pretty well for a more uptempo groove as Shawn points out. When I bought stuff from Aebersold on their own website, once I was about to pay the site offered me a bunch of other stuff at really big discounts (much lower than the prices visible on the site), so I ended up with a lot... that's how I ended up with 3 versions of Ladybird. Might be worth remembering if you're considering buying Aebersolds from some other source (JA's site is http://www.jazzbooks.com), though I don't know if they still do it.

Forget about that Vol 70 backing, thanks Nobby. So, for anyone using the JA tracks... Vol 36 Bebop & Beyond has a little brighter tempo... Vol 70 is more moderate tempo very in the pocket feel. Nice groove!
Howard

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here's my baseline tenor saxophone attmpt using the mid-tempo vol. 70 backing. Just played through a couple times at the slow tempo and tried a couple with the more uptempo vol 36 backing, this was the first complete take...

Lady Bird
Nice one, Shawn! You're getting a very solid but flexible tone on tenor, with plenty of core, I like it. Good melodic flow and things get a bit more complex toward the end, also you used some really nice sequencing esp. toward the end. And I agree with Brendan, you sound relaxed but alert. I really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And finally, I thought I might as well post a clip I recorded of Half Nelson back in 2011. It's not a complete performance, just a few choruses practising with old Jamey Aebersold:
Thanks for posting those versions Liam - and you sound not half bad on Half Nelson ! :mrgreen:

Looking forward to your take Howard - I'm glad the tune is getting a good reception.
I was worried that my newb-ness would cause me to choose a tune that everyone was tired of.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Liam - Loved the clip, may have been brief but you said a lot in a short bit of time. Many smooth lines weaving through the harmonies there, played with a great time feel. Nice variety with the triplet lines mixed in there with the eighth note phrases. Classic bebop ii/V lines, dug your phrases over the turnaround at the end. Great playing!

Fwiw, as a warm-up take felt pretty good about my first go. A few places I didn't quite get where I was trying to go, and could have had a little more energy or excitement (ending caught me by surprise there). Think I was trying not to overplay and stay "in-control", probably helped with the more laid-back feel especially at this tempo.

Brendan wrote
I was worried that my newb-ness would cause me to choose a tune that everyone was tired of.
I'm thinking it will be a pretty active month, if you like bebop it's a really fun tune to play....and great share Liam on the Miles and Charlie Parker on tenor. That's one of my favorite Bird sessions, always say he reminds me a good bit of a young Sonny Rollins. Love Bird's tenor sound there!!! And love those early Jazz Messengers with Hank Mobley and KD!!!!

One more YT version for your listening pleasure, Chet Baker.
http://youtu.be/0adWY01nWdE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Wow thats a great Dexter Gordon clip.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Here's My Take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKowtcWh_Y8&feature=youtu.be

A little "Notey" at times. I realized I couldn't have perfect run with this tune so there is a mistake somewhere around the middle.

I figured the solo was going pretty well. I didn't want to scrap it because of one flub.

Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that was played with "authority" from top to bottom .. and fantastic tone too.
Too bad about the mistake ... :mrgreen: :bluewink: (sarcasm - I couldn't hear it)
Very enjoyable !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Wow that was played with "authority" from top to bottom .. and fantastic tone too.
Too bad about the mistake ... :mrgreen: :bluewink: (sarcasm - I couldn't hear it)
Very enjoyable !
Thanks,

The track was like six minutes long.... so I just said what I had to on my own time, went back to the head and then faded it out.

Cool tune. Lot's of ii-V's. I've been working a lot on playing those resolutions like Shawn was talking about in one of my other threads. Take the A train I think.
Anyway, It's been helping with my jazz playing.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't seem to find this on Soundcloud?
I had the same trouble - you can find it if you type fsaxwas9 in the soundcloud search box !

1 - 20 of 199 Posts