Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Look at the pictures there’s a tube and then there’s a hole on the side I’m not sure how the tube plays in with a hole on the side."

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
There's so much to love about this. In addition to the unrelated tube to the right and the missing key cup at the top, two of the side keys are missing entirely. The icing on the cake is the threat of assault. This is something I'd love to see Dave Pollack try, playing without the neck.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's so much to love about this. In addition to the unrelated tube to the right and the missing key cup at the top, two of the side keys are missing entirely. The icing on the cake is the threat of assault. This is something I'd love to see Dave Pollack try, playing without the neck.
Yeah, I was also thinking about plugging a mouthpiece in to the tenon and making an "almost straight" tenor :O

·
Registered
A: 1939 king Zephyr A+T: Martin HC 1 B: 1934 Martin Imperial 1973 Buffet SDA low-A
320 Posts
There should be a separate topic to contain for sale atrocities.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I love the way he's too stupid to actually look at what's engraved on the bell to see how to spell it.

The other one, too stupid to spend 5 minutes looking at Google Images "Saxophone">

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The first one is an instant classic, the Bendy, I can see how that would work since it looks like a re-lacquered horn with the engraving almost buffed out :cool:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Oh he will do it if he thinks he can get some attention.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
My favorite was an ad with a person taking a Selfie in a mirror he had for sale and in the photo you could see a guy behind him sitting at a coffee table rolling a joint.
I got lucky on one where I grabbed a great deal on a 1938 BA but two other sax ads where I messaged the sellers were scams.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My favorite was an ad with a person taking a Selfie in a mirror he had for sale and in the photo you could see a guy behind him sitting at a coffee table rolling a joint.
I got lucky on one where I grabbed a great deal on a 1938 BA but two other sax ads where I messaged the sellers were scams.

Not to mention the "naked" or semi naked reflections. Unfortunately never a fine human specimen either. And feet!!! Lots of feet!!

I love really blurry photos with no manufacturers name or model and LOTS of pics of the closed case and lyre....

·
Registered
316 Posts
These ads are funny, but there's occasionally a real opportunity to get a good deal because of the lack of knowledge by the Seller. One of my tricks was to use search terms like "horn" or "brass" on Craigslist. I was surprised by how many saxophones would show up in a search like that. I've done well flipping saxophones using these search techniques. They don't work as well on Facebook Marketplace. I think Facebook Sellers are generally more knowlegeable.

My first post ever on this site was about buying a saxophone on eBay that came with a trumpet mouthpiece. When I saw the picture, I couldn't stop laughing. I paid $70 for it and sold it for more than $200. It turned out to be an old Beuscher stencil.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These ads are funny, but there's occasionally a real opportunity to get a good deal because of the lack of knowledge by the Seller. One of my tricks was to use search terms like "horn" or "brass" on Craigslist. I was surprised by how many saxophones would show up in a search like that. I've done well flipping saxophones using these search techniques. They don't work as well on Facebook Marketplace. I think Facebook Sellers are generally more knowlegeable.

My first post ever on this site was about buying a saxophone on eBay that came with a trumpet mouthpiece. When I saw the picture, I couldn't stop laughing. I paid $70 for it and sold it for more than $200. It turned out to be an old Beuscher stencil.
That's what keeps me up at night

·
Registered
83 Posts
One of my tricks was to use search terms like "horn" or "brass" on Craigslist. I was surprised by how many saxophones would show up in a search like that.
Have you tried "saxaphone"? I've seen that come up on a regular basis on craigslist. In the same vein, if you need a dining table be sure to search "dinning," since evidently "dining" is difficult to spell. Oh and if you need an apartment, search "quite" if you'd like something quiet. The stupidity out there is frightening, but can thankfully also be amusing!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts