1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
"The Night Has a Thousand Eyes"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
One of those great questions that's impossible to answer — I think I'll go with Blue Train.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,553 Posts
Moment's Notice all the way. Killer tune and a killer solo. Probably my favorite tune he did.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My Shining Hour!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
For me, it's one of those questions that has a different answer as time goes on.
However, I always had a soft spot for these two tunes:
Your Lady, Live At Birdland - short and sweet, and proof that Coltrane does have a great soprano tone.
One Up One Down, New Thing At Newport - it's the militant, aggressive mood that speaks to me in this one.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
This one ....

Turtle

Btw, how great are those photos in this video? Wow. I also think that Bill Evans' solo, that comes right after Cannonball's, is gorgeous, especially at the start (with the fewest notes imaginable). He gets my vote for BEST LESS IS MORE SOLO. :)

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Plus one on Flamenco Sketches solo on the initial release version. transcribed it a few years ago for jazz language class. Even got an "A". Timing was very challenging.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
650 Posts
Pursuance, third track on A Love Supreme. Sounds like three melodies, each one in a different range of the horn, dancing with each other. When he hits the 6:30 mark I always bust out laughing at the sheer, technical exuberance of it.

Runner up: I Want to Talk About You, pretty much any version, but let's say Live at the Village Vanguard Again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts