Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could we perhaps get rid of all those rather lame "Favorite Sayings" which attempt to be humorous by substituting the word "sax" for "sex"?

I don't find them offensive, just feeble, and they seem to cheapen what otherwise is a classy forum (most of the time). I read them because amongst the dross there are some great quotes from well respected musicians, but unfortunately they seem to be in the minority. Let's cut the quantity and increase the quality.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
I really like "saxual chocolate" but that's just me :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Leave them, I like em!

Watching a gig by a Melbourne bari player last year, described his special 'cello like spike support on his bari as "sax on a stick"; creased me up.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Not sure what's better ... that comment or your sig. Better run, Better take.. cover.

Where in Oz?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got no problems with any that are funny - it just seems to me that there are more than a few that are not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,321 Posts
re: "Favorite Sayings"

I haven't seen that jewell. I bet it's sooo funny and sooo clever...:|

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
And I thought it was Adolphe.

But: I share the sentiment that initiated the thread, though not with any great depth of feeling. The singer with one of the bands I work with regularly feels compelled, when introducing me (along with the rest of the band): this is our sax player; he practices safe sax. At which point I hop up to the mic and say No, I never practice. Stupid and tiresome, but harmless I guess.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From Wikipedia:

Antoine-Joseph 'Adolphe' Sax (November 6, 1814 – February 3, 1894) was a Belgian musical instrument designer and musician (clarinetist), best known for inventing the saxophone.

Spelling, gentlemen. Both of you (I am crabby today).

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I believe Adolphe is the German Antoine.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Did somebody say safe sax? This raises the question does the ribbing affect the tone?

I've had 1367 posts without a single spelling error and stephanck nails me for the first one. Sheesh. Does it still count as a mistake if I spelled it right before I spelled it wrong?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jbtsax said:
I've had 1367 posts without a single spelling error and stephanck nails me for the first one. Sheesh. Does it still count as a mistake if I spelled it right before I spelled it wrong?
When I'm in full on pedant mode, look out. I may have to review the other 1366.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
There was one just now with "Coltraine" for "Coltrane".. Grrrrrr...

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
..And I have never, ever seen the "Bhagavad Gita" anglicised as "Bhagwad Gita". I'll let that pass, but i certainly don't want any more out of context religious quotations to digest while i'm trying to concentrate on my coffee and cornflakes.. Grrr..fulminate..whinge.. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
jbtsax said:
Just be grateful the instrument wasn't invented by Antoine Phart instead of Antoine Sax. :)
I don't know...the phartaphone sounds like a blast. I suppose it would definately be part of the wind family.
Would two dueling phartophones be blowing off?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey guys you will have to make allowances for my fellow aussie, he is from Tasmania :twisted: .

Only kidding stefank, I know you get the tassie joke, but mate you need to lighten up a little, its all harmless fun.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
You've got my vote Stefan. There are a few funny sayings, but the overwhelming majority are "sadder than a broke dick dog."

Maybe it's an Aussie thing. Remember, europeans have absolutely no taste. My proof of this allegation?

Exhibit A: Eurovision song contest. :( :? ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts