Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorite instrumental jazz ballad performances. Please include album names if possible for those of us who want to track down your recommendation.

I love two from Duke Ellington and John Coltrane: My Little Brown Book and In a Sentimental Mood.

I have also always loved Sam Rivers's original recording of Beatrice on Fuchsia Swing Song.

Many more, of course.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,267 Posts
"Nature Boy" by Ike Quebec from his great album Heavy Soul.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,966 Posts
What are your favorite instrumental jazz ballad performances. Please include album names if possible for those of us who want to track down your recommendation.

I love two from Duke Ellington and John Coltrane: My Little Brown Book and In a Sentimental Mood.

I have also always loved Sam Rivers's original recording of Beatrice on Fuchsia Swing Song.

Many more, of course.
The Ellington/ Coltrane album is IMHO some of the best of Trane along with Ballads and the Hartman album.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,285 Posts
Johnny Hodges on pretty much every ballad he plays (how has he not been brought up in the ballad conversation yet?). Here's my favorite: Album: Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges, Song: What's The Rush?

Definitely needs to be heard by everyone. The fun note of this song, Gerry Mulligan and Johnny Hodges were supposed to play a duet. But when Gerry heard what Hodges was playing, he just let it go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I’d go with either these 3:

Bird, Just Friends
Monk, Ask Me Now
Coltrane, Naima

Pressed to say which is my favorite, I’d probably go with Monk.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts

·
Vendor
15,570 Posts
Hard for me to name one so here are a few of my favorites:

Ben Webster and Harry Edison —My Romance

Gene Ammons—-That’s All

Dexter—- I guess I’ll hang my tears out to dry

Paul Desmond—— My Funny Valentine, you go to my head

Cannonball—- I cant get started, Stars fell on Alabama

Hawk—-Body and soul

Coltrane—-Naima

Bird—Laura

Man, I could go on all day!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts
Arnett Cobb - "Willow Weep For Me" - Album Ballads by Cobb 1960:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LfmVTwM1k

Full album:

Side A:
00:00 A1 Willow Weep For Me
07:07 A2 Hurry Home
12:01 A3 P.S. I Love You

Side B:
17:11 B1 Blue And Sentimental
22:34 B2 Darn That Dream
27:23 B3 Why Try To Change Me Now
30:15 B4 Your Wonderful Love

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,779 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,145 Posts
No shortage of really good tracks on here so far, for sure. I'll bookmark a lot of these for later. Awesome.

I don't have a singular favorite track, I don't think, but out of modern players I think Mark Turner is probably my favorite on ballads. Here's one of my very favorites of his, "You Know I Care" by *Duke Pearson off of Mark's "In This World" album.

https://youtu.be/nIpKEvqMDeA

This is also simply one of my favorite albums by a saxophonist-bandleader ever. It's pretty incredible. Mark's "Ballad Session" album is no joke, either, and there are many tracks off that record that would make my list of favorites, particularly "I Loves You Porgy" and "Some Other Time."

*EDIT: "You Know I Care" is a Duke Pearson tune, not a Herbie tune as I'd originally erroneously typed! I was confusing it with Herbie's tune "Alone and I" which Mark plays on the "Ballad Session" record. My B.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts