Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to get a new case for my mark vi tenor, wondering what you would pick for the best all around case based on the following:

In town use only (hand to car seat to gig and back, etc)
As light weight as possible without sacrificing protection.
Cost

I know there are a zillion different opinions, and yes I know there are likely threads on this topic already but I felt compelled to start a new one. so far a protech contoured seems to be the best I can think of thus far. Thoughts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Protec Pro-pac XL I just got is very sturdy, but not exactly light, I estimate 15lbs empty. Your horn should fit in a regular Pro-pac though. I regularly carry it backpack-style over distances of a few miles because I'm poor and hate paying to park, and it's fairly comfortable. Much better than a soft-sided gig bag, especially in locations frequented by intoxicated partying folks.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
I’m looking to get a new case for my mark vi tenor, wondering what you would pick for the best all around case based on the following:

Cost

I know there are a zillion different opinions, and yes I know there are likely threads on this topic already but I felt compelled to start a new one. so far a protech contoured seems to be the best I can think of thus far. Thoughts?
Either Protec or BAM Trekking, although the BAM is much more expensive. The BAM has wheels to carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,412 Posts
A Mark VI will fit in the normal version, you don’t need the XL

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I got the XL recently, as it's about the only model of new case that'll fit a TH&C. It's well-made, plush, and attractive, but tends to tip over when open and empty, which can be annoying. I also much prefer clasps to zippers--at least where cases are concerned. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's well-made, plush, and attractive, but tends to tip over when open and empty, which can be annoying.
I second this. Pretty but if you are accustomed to using the open case as a temporary stand during assembly pre-performance, the Protec will tip over!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another vote for the Protec Pro-Pac Contour hardshell case. Versatile, excellent storage, reasonable weight, plenty of protection for all but checking on a airplane.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My vote is for the JW Eastman contoured cases. They have a very small form factor with a contoured section for the neck and a small spot for the mouthpiece and reeds.

They're available on a variety of colors and mine is a matte red. It sticks out in a sea of black cases.

I've been using it for about four months for tenor and alto and love them.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been using an old protec contour for a while, but I’ve noticed the horn moves a bit more inside than I’d like. Plus the hook to attach the shoulder strap broke so I just carry it. I had been using a bam fiberglass contour case but the strap slipped off the case while it was on my shoulder and the case hit the ground and actually bent the tube in the process so I’m leery of slinging anything over my shoulder now. Although I do with my alto protech. Seems like a heavier case doesn’t actually offer much for my use since the likely source of damage is going to be from me dropping the case!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Cost

I know there are a zillion different opinions, and yes I know there are likely threads on this topic already but I felt compelled to start a new one. so far a Protec ontoured seems to be the best I can think of thus far. Thoughts?

SKB contoured at $119 shipped for the tenor. Great protection against bumps and drops, lightweight, the absolute most compact since it's only a little bigger than its contents, and so cheap you ought to get two and send me one. Also, it's a smooth case; don't have to lift and place into position. Have to pack your neck, mpc & lig & cap, reeds, and strap in the bell, unless you use an over-the-shoulder one which doubles as the carrying strap. Protec contoureds are fine, but theirs is a much larger case.

As I'm writing this I realize I don't own a Mark VI and maybe shouldn't be answering. But it did fit the SA-80 I owned.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had an skb contoured case when I first got my horn, but I slipped on the ice once while I had it on my shoulder and the case hit the ground and I had similar damage issues. I seem to remember it had fairly a firm styrofoam interior which felt secure but I think transferred any energy from a fall directly to the horn. I seem to remember selling it based on a repair tech’s advise. Am I correct in thinking you don’t want the horn to move while in the case but still have the interior cushioned enough to absorb shock?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Some of the slimmer contoured cases have really thin outer shells that don't provide much strength, it's just rigid foam covered in plastic. I prefer wood. I had to modify the neck "hole" on mine for my underslung neck (not an issue w/Selmers I know) and so I can verify that the Propac is a indeed a wooden outer shell with foam pad over hard styrofoam construction. I would trust it up to a 2m/6ft drop maybe, but would rather not test it...

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I use a Hiscox for alto: it looks and feels premium, and is very sturdy, if not the cheapest case. But I've read complaints about the design of the tenor version, which has wasted space that makes it overly large.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, a friend and fellow forum member has a tenor hiscox, and although offering premium protection and construction he hates it because it is super klunky while you’re carrying it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
SKB contoured at $119 shipped for the tenor. Great protection against bumps and drops, lightweight, the absolute most compact since it's only a little bigger than its contents, and so cheap you ought to get two and send me one. Also, it's a smooth case; don't have to lift and place into position. Have to pack your neck, mpc & lig & cap, reeds, and strap in the bell, unless you use an over-the-shoulder one which doubles as the carrying strap. Protec contoureds are fine, but theirs is a much larger case.

As I'm writing this I realize I don't own a Mark VI and maybe shouldn't be answering. But it did fit the SA-80 I owned.
I use the SKB contoured for a Dolnet tenor, but bought the 450 version. It is a bit wider that the basic 150 version to allow a separate area for the neck and 2 mouthpieces. When closing it I have to shift the top a bit to get it to close one of the latches as it doesn't line up perfectly. I use a Protec XL contoured for a 10M. Between the two I prefer the cordura (?) material exterior of the Protec, as well as having the extra external pockets as opposed to the smooth plastic of the SKB. I bought Protec cases for my altos as well. I suspect that an additional advantage of the Protec may be that. The SKB opens 180 degrees as 2 halves that lie flat. The Protec opens with the upper half standing up at a right angle. The SKB is apparently lifetime warranted. Best with your VI!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
870 Posts
I'm a fan of the Protec cases. The universal Back Strap is great. I've used it on my Alto and Tenor cases.
My Yani Alto, and both my MKVI & Yani Tenors fit well.

I have a Protec Bari case that I like very much, but I have to add a small amount of padding
to keep my MKVI Bari from moving around - I just put a rolled up sock near the neck socket area and everything's is fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a rectangular Protec tenor case once (not the contoured one), but it was very big and heavy, and I don’t recommend it.
I use a Hiscox nowadays. Seems very strong (but I haven’t tried dropping it with the sax inside!)

Downsides:
- no backpack straps (but I don’t carry it far, and the shoulder strap can be used diagonally)
- not a lot of room for bits and pieces compared with the Protec, which has lots of storage space.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Yes, a friend and fellow forum member has a tenor hiscox, and although offering premium protection and construction he hates it because it is super klunky while you’re carrying it.
I don't find the Hiscox clunky. I like 'em.
Pricier than the protec, which is a great case for the $.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really like the protec contour case, I used one for my SA-80 alto through college. The backpack straps were awesome

1 - 20 of 44 Posts