·
Registered
799 Posts
How about some Gordon Goodwin? Their are some good sax solis in:

Count Bubba
Count Bubba's Revenge
High Maintenance
Whodunnit?

I also like the soli in External Combustion (by Lenny Stack)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Groovin' Hard! Love the feel of the tune and love the soli!

·
Registered
386 Posts
The NTSU arrangement of Cannonball's "Easy to Love" solo.

Thad Jones "Little Pixie"

Lots of great Rob McConnell stuff out there too. Of course, don't forget Supersax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Graeme Lyall wrote a piece called?... tom teriffic... it's a tenor feature top and tail i'm pretty sure... i think it's either four of five pages... cant remember... the soli is at least a page? balls to the wall... no time for straglers... bit of fun... you can get it off him www.graemelyall.com.au

the soli in tom teriffic is soprano/alto/two tenors and baritone...

if you've seen alien there's a scene where they all fall through the roof in the medical lab... then there's the dude who gets sucked down into the floor... that's what you've got to be like to get through it....:D makes groove merchant look like four of five lines of tea party music

footnote... i hardly spoke ten words to him whilst i was there... maybe... 300 so i'm not saying go and get it because of that... played some of his music though... you should get it because it was fun to play... on that note... there's a **** hot arrangment of night and day with a Bb to low A bit which is worth being there to play... maybe i just enjoyed the low a.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Woody Herman's Four brothers. I know there are 3 tenors(Getz,Simms,Al Seward???) and Serge Chaloff on baritone. I think there is a alto in there as well.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
Atrium by Tom Kubis has an interesting sax soli.

It's an A Train knock off but pretty cool if I recall.

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1 for Groove Merchant and Groovin' Hard. I love listening to these solis, esp in groove merchant. Hopefully someday I'll be lucky enough to be in a band competent enough to play the original :)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,869 Posts
Thad's Little Pixie II is one of the all time best sax solis, IMO.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For me it's a toss up between Toshiko Akiyoshi's "After Mr. Teng" (ridiculously fast!) or Francy Boland's "Sax No End."

I have a Supersax arrangement of "A Night in Tunisia" that isn't half bad, either... :bluewink:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts