Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you guys had to pick one favorite band piece that you either love to play or love to listen to, what would it be? Try to include whether you play(ed) soprano, alto, tenor, or bari part on it!

My choice would be old school, the Holst First Suite in Eb. I've played the alto part on it, but I absolutely love to listen to it for all the parts!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Any sax part in anything written by Percy Grainger. Shosty's Festive Overture (not really a band piece but fun nonetheless).

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm a fan of the old warhorses - Dahl Sinfonietta, Husa Music for Prague, etc. I got to play the solo on the Dahl last year, a very rewarding experience. I'm a bit sad I've never had the chance to play Prague, but it's a hell of a piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,147 Posts
If you guys had to pick one favorite band piece that you either love to play or love to listen to, what would it be? Try to include whether you play(ed) soprano, alto, tenor, or bari part on it!

My choice would be old school, the Holst First Suite in Eb. I've played the alto part on it, but I absolutely love to listen to it for all the parts!
Holst here too: "Mars" from The Planets. I played bari and had plenty to do.

Played bass sax on the 1st Suite too. Not much to do on that one, but at least I had my own part.

·
Registered
641 Posts
"Rites" by Jean Absil...one section of the work breaks out into a Desenclos-sounding quartet section.
'Symphony no.2' by Frank Ticheli...perhaps one of the best solos I've ever gotten to play in Wind Ensemble in the 2nd movement.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any Grainger is always good but some 'newer' stuff is good as well.

-Movement for Rosa
-Ride
-Pasttime

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has anyone else had a chance to perform Daugherty's "Bells for Stokowski"?
Sr. MYWE at NEC is doing it. So much fun to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
Has anyone else had a chance to perform Daugherty's "Bells for Stokowski"?
Sr. MYWE at NEC is doing it. So much fun to play.
I got to play that a number of years back at Interlochen on summer. Fantastic piece. Very fun saxophone parts. Very nice quartet part at the beginning!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Favorite band literature = Favorite ways to experience pain.

I personally prefer road rash and getting kicked in the groin. Both extremely painful, but heal up well.

:)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
I like the old classics,

Holst Suites, both Eb and F. I've played all the sax parts, and oboe, back in HS.
Commando March- Samuel Barber
Husa-Prague
Shostakovich
All the old Marches--Souza, Fillmore, J. Strauss, Duble, Fucik, Fulton

I'm not really fond of the newer stuff. It seems like most of the new stuff is percussion ensemble with wind accompaniment. Oh, and I'd much rather play than listen. For listening, I want orchestra.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts