Sax on the Web Forum banner

What's your favorite horn band from the 70s?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was just wondering what horn bands from the 70s you guys like best. The ones I listed were just the ones I'm more familiar with.

· Registered
270 Posts
i was a HUGE chicago fan as a kid. i still love their kath-era stuff.

i got turned onto tower of power in my early teens...and now that i actually live in oakland, ca, well, i have to tip my hat to them, for certain.

there's some amazing horn section work in earth wind & fire's body of work; ditto parliament / funkadelic. but if forced to pick a favorite, i'd have to go with chicago strictly for sentimental reasons. top's horn section (and the individuals who have comprised it) are more powerful and interesting players imho. cheers!

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,554 Posts
Although I started listening to BST in the 60's, I'll admit that they restored my faith in the idea that "young" people could still dig bands with instrumentation that was not just 4 kids with guitars and drums that played four chords. I never cared for Spinning Wheel, but Variations on a Theme by Eric Satie and Trois Gymnopedies (sp?) Told me that they were truly musicians, and Lucretia McEvil told me they were down and dirty. Loved'em.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,407 Posts
I voted for ToP, but I like them all. Earlier Chicago (first 5 or 6 albums) is better in my book. BS&T with David Clayton Thomas - didn't like Al Kooper's voice as much.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No one for the Ides yet? I don't think they were that bad... Well, they were a bit of a BS&T copy, but their trumpets were pretty powerful. But maybe a little too much. You can barely hear Bob Bergland when he plays the sax, at least on my radio.

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Chicago, BS & T, EW & F, Ohio Players...

I liked the one radio song that the Ides of March did (Vehicle) but I can't think of any other songs they did that were popular.

And if my memory serves me correctly, wasn't there also a Canadian band with a horn section called 'Lighthouse' (?) that had a hit song called 'One Fine Morning' ?

Oh...and how 'bout a rock band with a 4 trumpet horn section ?

'CHASE' !!!

I LOVED the Chase albums even though they had no Saxes...

I still have many old Chicago albums on vinyl, plus, BS & T, Chase, others...I still have a turntable hooked up too...

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops! Yeah, I feel really stupid for forgetting to include Earth, Wind, & Fire on the list! I think I've heard Lighthouse and Chase before, too.

· Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,375 Posts
EWF for me! As the others, I love 'em all, but Earth, Wind and Fire is one of the most innovative bands of the '70's.

· Registered
688 Posts
Chicago, Tower of Power.

· Registered
7,875 Posts
any of them! at the moment I would have to say chicago and BS&T (my brother in law plays trumpet with BS&T and was just called to fill in again with Chicago... yes I live vicariously thru him!)

Actually my fav from that period is Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes.

· Registered
107 Posts
I was in my teens in the glorious 70's and was into alot of funk/soul bands with horn section such as Brass Construction, Blackbyrds(check out Time is Movin & Unfinished Buisness) Brick, and who was the dude who sang Bustin loose with that killer horn line?

· Registered
270 Posts
howdy saxplayer59

saxplayer59 said:
I was in my teens in the glorious 70's and was into alot of funk/soul bands with horn section such as Brass Construction, Blackbyrds(check out Time is Movin & Unfinished Buisness) Brick, and who was the dude who sang Bustin loose with that killer horn line?
i *think* that that's chuck brown and the soul searchers. killer tune! i've got it on a rhino records 5-disc funk compilation from about 10 or 12 years ago called 'in yo' face: history of funk" that's well worth finding. cheers!

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,373 Posts
White Elephant

Available these days on CD http://nycrecords.com/catalog/6021.html

THIS is a horn band:

Joe Beck Guitar
Warren Bernhardt Keyboards
Michael Brecker Tenor Saxophone
Randy Brecker Trumpet
Sam Brown Guitar
Ronny Cuber Baritone Saxophone
Jon Faddis Lead Trumpet
Steve Gadd Drums
Nick Holmes Rhythm Guitar, Vocals
Tony Levin Bass
Mike Mainieri Arranger, keyboards, Vocals, Percussion & Ulcers
Sue Manchester Vocals
Bob Mann Guitar
Hugh McCraken Acoustic, Electric & Slide Guitar, Harmonica
Donald MacDonald Drums
Paul Metzke Guitar
Nat Pavone Lead Trumpet
Jon Pierson Bass Trombone, Vocals
Barry Rodgers Tenor Trombone
Lew Soloff Trumpet
David Spinozza Electric & Acoustic Guitar
Ann E. Sutton Vocals
Frank Vicari Tenor Saxophone
George Young Alto Saxophone

· SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
25,071 Posts
I really liked Blood Sweat & Tears (I was just out of high school when they were big), but never really cared for Chicago that much. I think what happened is I got more into jazz at the time and Chicago somehow didn't seem to have that blues edge I like. I voted for Tower of Power. They were fantastic back then. I wasn't too fond of their "disco" period, but everything else was, and still is, great.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.