Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if anyone remembers that I bought a second hand keilworth from Stuarts at Bradford? Well to cut a long story short I keep having minor problems with it - all fixed at a cost.

The latest thing to go is the protective case around the lower C - the soldering has come lose and needs sorting out. Stuart seems to think it fair that I pay for shipping costs to get it to Bradford as it is under a one year warranty - I dont and would rather have it locally fixed as I also worry about getting it lost in the postal system here.

I hate to say this but I am wondering now if I have bought a "dud" - and am starting to think do I sell it at a loss or do I keep paying for the odd bit of repair work??

Not a good advert for Stuart's shop..............

What do you think?

Clare

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Hey, nice to see you back here.
What are the other problems you've had with the horn?
I don't know how far it is from Nottingham to Bradford, but I would try to avoid shipping it to them.
Is there any other tech in your area?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
I hate to say this but I am wondering now if I have bought a "dud" - and am starting to think do I sell it at a loss or do I keep paying for the odd bit of repair work??
Doesn't sound good but I'm not sure you can hold that against the shop, unless they knew it was a dud which is unlikely I hope.

This is part of the reason I always recommend people buy a new horn, sometimes a second hand one is not a good move unless you can fix things yourself, especially as you can now buy new pro saxophones at a much lower price than some of the more established brands.

How much do you like it as a saxophone? That's the question you need to decide whether to sell it or not. As you bought it from a dealer, sadly it will almost inevitably be at a loss if you sell it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Warp - yep am still around not been able to practice though since Easter as have had Costocondritis (inflamed rib cartlidge) followed by chest infection -just starting to pick it up again!

Pete - I love the sax - I know it is old and I was competely aware that I had no idea what I was buying and that this was a risk when buying a second had sax. I let my heart rule my head - I really wanted the keilworth - hubby wanted me to buy the new yamaha.[rolleyes]

So far, I have several small problems - two with the neck of the sax, one with the side keys for low C and b flat and today the shield around the lower C is falling off.

I am taking it to a recommeded sax repairer on Thursday to see what he thinks. I also know that if I sell it I will lose money but long term, as much as this pains me to consider am I better with the new Yamaha - wish I could afford a new Keilworth but I carn't!! lol

Clare

·
28,917 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well you know what I am going to ask now - what would you get? - (feel like I may be opening another huge debate lol!

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you really like the sax, then I say to keep it. Little problems are bound to happen.

What model Keilwerth do you have. If it is a ST90, I would say to just go ahead and sell it and find something else.

If it is an SX90, you can't find a better horn, in my opinion.

Either way, if you are looking at another sax company, I also really like P.Mauriats.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there I have a SX90 paid £1500 for it and I think it is about 8 years old. I had hunted for one for a long time but there seems to be shortage of second hand ones on the market in the uk.

Clare

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi there I have a SX90 paid £1500 for it and I think it is about 8 years old. I had hunted for one for a long time but there seems to be shortage of second hand ones on the market in the uk.

Clare
Well, in my opinion, SX90s are one of the best saxophones that you can buy. Again, that is just my opinion. I am not biased, I just own one ;)

As long as the problems are minor and it sounds like they are, I say keep the horn and get it fixed.

Resoldering the C Guard is minor and that can happen to all saxophones. I am not sure what the issues are with the neck, but even purchasing a new neck (if it came to that) is relatively easy. Without knowing the issues with the low C and Bb, they just probably need alittle tweaking. No big deal.

All saxes need adjustments here and there. Let your local tech look at the sax, but also be warned that if the local tech fixes the horn, you will most likely void the 1 year warranty with the other shop.

By the way, I do think that it is fair for the other shop to charge you shipping to sent it to them. Most warrantys are like that. They will cover the costs to fix or replace the item, so shipping is fair game.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chiilipepper thanks for the reply - its made me feel so much better - being a complete novice to owing a sax I do tend to panic when something happens and have visions of it all coming apart!!!

Surprised about the posting costs - but you have more experience in this field so I apologise to Stuart in Bradford.:bluewink:

Clare

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Hey Clare

This should make you feel even better: Branford Marsalis, Ernie Watts, James Moody, Ron Holloway, David Liebman. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
BTW, resoldering the key guard should cost you next to nothing. Be sure to report back here with the local tech's opinion!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It takes one and a half hours from Nottingham to Bradford!!!! Just take it up there yourself...... If you have no time then take it to "windblowers" in Nottingham...Bryce there is one of the top repairers in the UK.

·
28,917 Posts
By the way, I do think that it is fair for the other shop to charge you shipping to sent it to them. Most warrantys are like that. They will cover the costs to fix or replace the item, so shipping is fair game.
very often a good company will cover the shipping if the item is found to be actually faulty once it is returned. i would do that. I ask for the customer to pay shipping, but if I then found a fult I would reimburse them and that is quite a common practice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for all of the feedback. I would take it to Bradford, if I just had to consider me, but unfortunately I have two children, one who is only 4 and I dont fancy the round trip with them. I would take it to windblowers as they have mended the faults in the past, but the guy there has made several remarks about my sax which suggests I was a bit of a mug buying it for the price that I did, so dont want to go back there again with another problem. (Having said that he repaired my Conn and charged me nothing) My Teacher has given me the name of someone nearby who can repair so am going to see him.

Rieitch - thanks for the post - but have to confess have no idea that that list of names implies (sorry - am on a slow learning curver - combination of age and two kids!!)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Thanks again for all of the feedback. I would take it to Bradford, if I just had to consider me, but unfortunately I have two children, one who is only 4 and I dont fancy the round trip with them. I would take it to windblowers as they have mended the faults in the past, but the guy there has made several remarks about my sax which suggests I was a bit of a mug buying it for the price that I did, so dont want to go back there again with another problem. (Having said that he repaired my Conn and charged me nothing) My Teacher has given me the name of someone nearby who can repair so am going to see him.

Rieitch - thanks for the post - but have to confess have no idea that that list of names implies (sorry - am on a slow learning curver - combination of age and two kids!!)
AFAIK, those are all awesome "brand name" players who play/endorse the SX90. Kirk Whalum would be another.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks!! I am taking it over on Thursday and will feedback here once I know the cost/damage and his thoughts on the state of it. Fingers crossed that it is going to be ok. I just love the sound that you get from it and of course Hubby helped pay for it too!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Clare...if the repairs you are quoted are costly then drop me a line and i'll get my repairer here in sheffield to repair it at cost!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Take about 1 hr. to where I am. PM me if you're stuck. I recently sold a superb SX90 tenor for £1300-----------

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Selmer - thanks so much!!! Any idea what price I should be looking at? Roughly?
Oh blimey Bopity Funk - do you get many Alto's in? I think I need to see what the technical man says about what I have bought first, then decide if I am going to cut my losses. But if I do start again I will certainly PM you - where are you based Birmingham??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts