Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I'm looking for a neck that'll fatten up the upper register of my sax.

While I'm quite content with the lower register and my G1 Custom, the second octave quickly thins as soon as I play into it.

I've heard about the Ponzol necks, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a Barone neck for my Big B and SA 80II. I couldn't be more happy with it. It has great intonation bottom to top and the upper register is full of personality and umph :)

Good luck on your search!

-Zach
Fell Boyzs
www.fellboyzs.com

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BryanQ. said:
Right now, I'm looking for a neck that'll fatten up the upper register of my sax.

While I'm quite content with the lower register and my G1 Custom, the second octave quickly thins as soon as I play into it.

I've heard about the Ponzol necks, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
Work on voicing. Guaranteed that proper voicing will fatten up your sound everywhere on the horn. Oh, and try different reeds too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
SaxyAcoustician said:
Work on voicing. Guaranteed that proper voicing will fatten up your sound everywhere on the horn. Oh, and try different reeds too.
I second this post.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I've heard Ponzol's work great with Yamaha's, but don't have either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
More information, please

SaxyAcoustician said:

I have encountered the term "voicing" before, but haven't the foggiest notion what it refers to.

Can you please elaborate?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Bluesman0511 said:
I have encountered the term "voicing" before, but haven't the foggiest notion what it refers to.

Can you please elaborate?
Change the oral cavity--tongue, throat; make oral cavity volume bigger, smaller; change tongue position; try to focus the air into the mouthpiece differently. Experiment. There is no right answer when it comes to what your oral cavity should look like but you'll know when it's right when the sound is right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
SaxyAcoustician said:
Change the oral cavity--tongue, throat; make oral cavity volume bigger, smaller; change tongue position; try to focus the air into the mouthpiece differently. Experiment. There is no right answer when it comes to what your oral cavity should look like but you'll know when it's right when the sound is right.
And the best way to work on voicing is through the study of the overtone series and through playing scales on the mouthpiece. Esoteric stuff but it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts