Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a college freshman music major at university. For some time, I have been trying to get a buzzless, sort of Stan Getz, tone for jazz. I want a dark, focussed sound without edge or buzz that doesn't get brighter as I blow harder.

Any suggestions? (I am partial to more open mouthpieces)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
the darkest pieces i have in order are House of Note(dukoff) Otto Link Slant Wanne Wood Ambika and Broadus the Broadus buzzes, and the wanne has the best overall character

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I would not call Getz buzzless. He played HR Links which are known for their really warm buzz/fuzz. Your description is for a good large chambered piece. such as a HR Link. I would think you could get there with your Barone but maybe it has a little more baffle or a shorter facing than you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...my Wanne has a special earthy buzz to it...pardon the expression,but its really the best way to describe it....its 3rd on the list because,yes it has more life than the house of note or link slant...which both ,at times,can be too dark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
Why not just get a 5* Link Tone Edge and use very hard reeds, a #4 or a #5 if you can find them, as getz did?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,796 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Are you saying you favor Getz's tone, or he's just one example? Henderson and Lovano certainly play with a dark tone as well. And, you're still looking to project in a jazz setting?

With the right mpc/reed combination, you might even try a legit mouthpiece like a selmer E. In addition to the suggestions above, Saxscape also has an Xtra Dark with no baffle. You can hear a sample on Ken's site, of course your mileage may vary. Certainly, there's a lot of positive feedback on here about the Drake and Phil-Tone although I'd consider buying a rubber Link as well (was very close to picking one of those up myself, when I opted for my FatCat proto).

Reed choice does make a lot of difference though. Start using a traditional (non jazz) cut with the same strength or maybe 1/2 harder (you may have to adjust a bit then), and you'll darken up on whatever you're using.

Good luck on your quest!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts