1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
17,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
This is great. I used to sit at the side of the stage watching Lee do this, I'd finger the solo along with him sometimes to learn it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The Lee Allen clip is absolutely marvellous. I'm carrying it around on my iPod because I have to watch this several times a day. Thanks for posting.

·
Administrator
17,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@Pete Thomas - That must have been a great experience Pete :).

@tenorsfan - Love that one too, thanks for adding :).

@TonyM - Glad you liked it Tony :).

I saw Lee Allen for the first time in 1984 in Paradiso stage in Amsterdam. Hans Dulfer organized a 'Master Class Of Rock & Roll Saxophone' with in the afternoon a Master Class by Sil Austin, Boots Randloph and Lee Allen and in the evening a concert with all three of them. Lee didn't show up at the Master Class (he was stuck in a bar in an Amsterdam Hotel :mrgreen:), but he played a great set in the evening.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I lived in N.O. for a couple of years a long time ago, and was back last week for a vacation. I didn't see the flooded areas, downtown, uptown, the quarter were untouched by the flood and appear as always. And here is the thing, on Friday nite there was a bunch of black high school kids on Royal St, three trombones !, two trumpets, a tuba, a couple of drummers, and these kids were blasting ! Absolutely great, the best N.O. marching music I've ever heard, and these cats weren't 'nostalgia-ing', they were playing for real. Between tunes the drummers would drum and there were various chants. It was amazing. A few old timers were second-lining in the street. The spirit of N.O. lives !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,536 Posts
His tone is very Sam Butera-ish. Love it.

·
Administrator
17,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I lived in N.O. for a couple of years a long time ago, and was back last week for a vacation. I didn't see the flooded areas, downtown, uptown, the quarter were untouched by the flood and appear as always. And here is the thing, on Friday nite there was a bunch of black high school kids on Royal St, three trombones !, two trumpets, a tuba, a couple of drummers, and these kids were blasting ! Absolutely great, the best N.O. marching music I've ever heard, and these cats weren't 'nostalgia-ing', they were playing for real. Between tunes the drummers would drum and there were various chants. It was amazing. A few old timers were second-lining in the street. The spirit of N.O. lives !
Great story Doc, thanks for sharing :).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts