Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a book to purchase of famous rock saxophone solos. I've been looking, but was wondering if you guys had any extra advice. I am looking for both amount of music in the book and the level of fame of the music. Though most of the rock solos aren't difficult, I am going to say that difficulty of the book is not a problem. I have a few ideas as to where to go, but as I said, I thought that any extra help would be great.

Thank you

The Soloist

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,295 Posts
I've been looking for a book to purchase of famous rock saxophone solos. I've been looking, but was wondering if you guys had any extra advice. I am looking for both amount of music in the book and the level of fame of the music. Though most of the rock solos aren't difficult, I am going to say that difficulty of the book is not a problem. I have a few ideas as to where to go, but as I said, I thought that any extra help would be great.

Thank you

The Soloist
Okay, maybe if you just manage to play the notes, some solos are not really difficult. But there is a lot more to it than that. You call yourself 'The Soloist', but if you really were one I doubt you would make such a statement, much less need a damn music book of 'rock solos'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The need for a book is out of being busy. I could spend time figuring out the solos, but it is a lot of time spent that I have to work on other things. Not to mention that I don't really want to have to learn the solos and then teach them to other saxophonists. If my name offends you, I'm sorry that you feel that way. I don't see why it would, but it isn't my problem. If you wish to keep hating my name, please keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's funny, I have long thought I would someday try to write one, maybe as a Master's project once I got to that point...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would definitely be a fun thing. I am beyond far away from that point, but it seems like it would be both cool and fun.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
IMHO it takes a lot longer to learn solos by reading them ... I play in a Pink Floyd tribute band and had to learn the solos to Money, Us and Them, SOYCD, Gunnars Dream and the kb solo to Run Like Hell in 14 days ... also they asked for me to add soprano solo to "Nobody home" and tenor to have a cigar .... I only had a few hours each night to do it ... transcribing the money one helped me out ... but all the others were learned by listening and repeating ...

I have probably played every saxophone rock solo out there ... some as played (Born to Run, Urgent) some in the style of (same old song and dance ) etc etc ... most learned by listening and repeating and/or transcribing ..

IMHO most solo books are a waste ...especially rock solos ..

Although I will admit I have a book somewhere around here of Cannonball's solos .... been looking to resurrect that again ..)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Okay, maybe if you just manage to play the notes, some solos are not really difficult. But there is a lot more to it than that. You call yourself 'The Soloist', but if you really were one I doubt you would make such a statement, much less need a damn music book of 'rock solos'.
OK, I think your answer is more than a little out of line. Who the hell are you to find fault with either his question or screen name? If you are so disgusted by the question then don't answer it and keep your snotty attitude to yourself.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Thank you

The Soloist
I think John Laughter could help you on this. I suggest you PM him and I'm sure he'd go out of his way to try. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts