Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I have been rebuilding my website and would like to have a reference section for players.

I have noticed that there are very few player setup sections on the web. Theo just removed his from his updated site (at least I could not find it).

There is a vast amount of knowledge here on the forum. From what I have seen over the years a modest research project would still not equal the cumulative knowledge of members. I think it would be helpful to players if this information was shared and compiled in one spot.

If you are willing just post the players you have knowledge of and I will compile the information. Hopefully enough members will share so that we end up with a rich data base.

Thanks
Phil

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
Brew Moore left the following behind after he died: Conn two-tone 10M s/n 285111 (1939) tenor with HR Brilhart Personaline L6, .083" opening.
Maceo Parker plays a Brilhart Ebolin but seems to be looking for a good specimen. Someone on SOTW had seen him with a black Personaline at a concert in Japan.
Dexter played a Conn Naked Lady, some say a 30M, with a brass Dukoff. After he lost the sax in Paris he played a Mk VI with an Otto Link STM.
Paul Desmond played a Selmer Super Balanced Action with an MC Gregory Model A and apparently also a Master.
Cannonball played King super 20 alto with a Meyer HR.
Zoot Sims played a Selmer (Super ?) Balanced Action and a Brilhart HR mouthpiece.
Charlie Parker has played a Runyon "22" and a Brilhart Tonalin Streamline as well as several others.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Tell us a bit more about Brew Moores Tenor - I take it someone has it in Denmark?
Brews Stockholm Dew on Sonet is a great record as are his earlier ones .

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Phil - I was on Theos site like 2 days ago looking at the same section you referred to. Player set ups. Looks like he just re-did his whole website and now you are right the "set up page" is no longer. Why dont you email him and ask for it ?

[email protected]

·
13,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it may be in poor taste for me to do that since I will be using it on a commercially. Otherwise I would not hesitate.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Look i think the information is valuable. As horn players we all want to know who is playing what. Ill email him and ask him to post it on SOTW for the community at large.

·
13,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that it is valuable. It is also possible that I may be over sensitive about this sort of thing but as a general principle I try to tread lightly.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Chris Potter:

- On tenor Old Otto Link metal mouthpiece opened up to an 8*, with 3 medium or 3 hard filed Rico Jazz Select reeds / silver plated SBA and an early MKVI
- On soprano Old Selmer Soloist hard rubber E opening with the same kind of reeds ? MKVI
- On alto Also an old Selmer Soloist hard rubber (It's been worked on so I don't really know the opening) with the same kind of reeds / ?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Please mention Sonny Rollins was playing a double line Link in the 50's and a Soloist later on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,249 Posts
Tell us a bit more about Brew Moores Tenor - I take it someone has it in Denmark?
Brews Stockholm Dew on Sonet is a great record as are his earlier ones .
Yes. It was discovered not so long ago, when Brew's girlfriend in Copenhagen died and their daughter cleared out the apartment. She took it to Copenhagen music shop I.K. Gottfried (where Peter Jessen works) and asked them to overhaul it and sell it. It was bought by a Danish semi-professional saxplayer. Because I know one of his friends, I ended up photographing it and trying it with the original mouthpiece. The sax has an FAT sound and the mouthpiece works well with it. (The owner did not buy the mpc, because it was too small for him. He plays a HR Link). I tried for comparison the mouthpiece with my 1943 Zephyr, but it was a bleak and uninteresting sound compared to how it sounded on the Conn.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Pretty Sure that the following is accurate:

Rich Perry: Short Shank Soloist H
Jerry Bergonzi: Link Hard Rubber Slant 8 and 10* as well as some of Brian Powell's pieces...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,339 Posts
Siggi: I think plenty of others have done the same on their sites only to abandon it, because the players change often and for the dead ones we only know them from certain settings. Irrespectively, I have added whatever came to mind while compiling a list from previous posters. I suggest to copy and paste to make it more accessible to the OP.

Brew Moore: Conn two-tone 10M s/n 285111 (1939) tenor with HR Brilhart Personaline L6, .083" opening.
Maceo Parker: Brilhart Ebolin
Dexter: Conn Naked Lady, some say a 30M, with a brass Dukoff. After he lost the sax in Paris he played a Mk VI with an Otto Link STM.
Paul Desmond: Selmer Super Balanced Action with an MC Gregory Model A and apparently also a Master.
Cannonball: King super 20 alto with a Meyer HR.
Zoot Sims: Radio Improved tenor saxophone (his entire career) and a Brilhart HR mouthpiece. Soprano was MKVI. Alto a Buffet (not sure). Baritone dunno (widely used brand)
Charlie Parker. Conn and King saxes, Runyon "22" and a Brilhart Tonalin Streamline as well as several others
Chris Potter:
- On tenor Old Otto Link metal mouthpiece opened up to an 8*, with 3 medium or 3 hard filed Rico Jazz Select reeds / silver plated SBA and an early MKVI
- On soprano Old Selmer Soloist hard rubber E opening with the same kind of reeds ? MKVI
- On alto Also an old Selmer Soloist hard rubber (It's been worked on so I don't really know the opening) with the same kind of reeds / ?[/QUOTE]
Sonny Rollins was playing a double line Link in the 50's and a Soloist later on. After that Bergs, latest SS 130/?M. Saxes: Buescher, King Super 20 (with Link) and MKVI
Paul Desmond: Selmer SBA alto MC Gregory 4A with Rico #3 reeds.
Phil Woods uses a NY Meyer 5. He used to use LaVoz MH. First MKVI and later YAS-82Z.
Benny Carter used a Brilhart Ebolin on MKVI
Jerry Bergonzi: Link Hard Rubber Slant 8 and 10* as well as some of Brian Powell's pieces... (50,000 different horns and mouthpieces)
King Curtis: Selmer MKVI tenor and SS Berg
Joe Henderson: MKVI tenor (famous story about it being stolen) and another MKVI with Selmer Soloist E
Bob Rockwell: Conn 10M; Borgani, and MKVI tenor saxophones. Various mouthpieces but last time I saw him in concert with a SS Berg.
Joe Lovano: Chu Berry, Borgani, and Selmer tenor saxes. Dunno about mpc. Jessen G mezzo soprano
Jimmy Greene: Borgani tenor and soprano saxes. On tenor with SaxScape Xtra Dark
Benjamin Koppel: YAS875 with Jessen neck and mpc. Also plays a G mezzo.
Wilton Felder: King Super 20 tenor with SS Berg Larsen
...more later and apologies for lack of detail. I ought to know loads more. And for any current player, odds are they will soon be endorsing a P. Mauriat with a Theo mouthpiece ;)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
OCD at work here....

Brew Moore: Conn two-tone 10M s/n 285111 (1939) tenor with HR Brilhart Personaline L6, .083" opening.

Maceo Parker: Brilhart Ebolin

Dexter:Conn Naked Lady, some say a 30M, with a brass Dukoff. After he lost the sax in Paris he played a Mk VI with an Otto Link STM.

Paul Desmond: Selmer Super Balanced Action with an MC Gregory Model A and apparently also a Master.

Cannonball: King super 20 alto with a Meyer HR.

Zoot Sims: Radio Improved tenor saxophone (his entire career) and a Brilhart HR mouthpiece. Soprano was MKVI. Alto a Buffet (not sure). Baritone dunno (widely used brand)

Charlie Parker: Conn and King saxes, Runyon "22" and a Brilhart Tonalin Streamline as well as several others

Chris Potter:
- On alto Also an old Selmer Soloist hard rubber (It's been worked on so I don't really know the opening) with the same kind of reeds

Sonny Rollins: double line Link in the 50's and a Soloist later on. After that Bergs, latest SS 130/?M. Saxes: Buescher, King Super 20 (with Link) and MKVI

Paul Desmond: Selmer SBA alto MC Gregory 4A with Rico #3 reeds.
Phil Woods uses a NY Meyer 5. He used to use LaVoz MH. First MKVI and later YAS-82Z.

Benny Carter: Brilhart Ebolin on MKVI

Jerry Bergonzi: Link Hard Rubber Slant 8 and 10* as well as some of Brian Powell's pieces... (50,000 different horns and mouthpieces). Also used a Florida STM in early recordings.

King Curtis: Selmer MKVI tenor and SS Berg

Joe Henderson: MKVI tenor (famous story about it being stolen) and another MKVI with Selmer Soloist E

Bob Rockwell: Conn 10M; Borgani, and MKVI tenor saxophones. Various mouthpieces but last time I saw him in concert with a SS Berg.

Joe Lovano: Chu Berry, Borgani, and Selmer tenor saxes. Francois Louis custom wood mouthpiece. Alexander DC reeds. Jessen G mezzo soprano

Jimmy Greene: Borgani tenor and soprano saxes. On tenor with SaxScape Xtra Dark

Benjamin Koppel: YAS875 with Jessen neck and mpc. Also plays a G mezzo.
Wilton Felder: King Super 20 tenor with SS Berg Larsen
...more later and apologies for lack of detail. I ought to know loads more. And for any current player, odds are they will soon be endorsing a P. Mauriat with a Theo mouthpiece ;)

John Coltrane: Link Tonemaster 5* and SBA, Florida STM and MKVI (post A Love Supreme)

I also added some info for Lovano, Gonz and Trane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,339 Posts
You need to underline Wilton Felder, and put a line between him and my remark (kindly delete the latter). Back to OCD :)

·
13,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I know it will be hard to keep up with current players but there are a lot of people whom which older players are not common knowledge. Also there are some lesser know (not Trane, Bird, Lester etc..) that people dont keep track of as readily.

Great stuff

1 - 20 of 85 Posts