Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Falcon Woodwinds
CT SCANNED vintage saxophone mouthpiece reproductions:​

New digitally scanned vintage saxophone reproduction mouthpieces.

Falcon Woodwinds is starting with an incredible original Florida STM tenor reproduction, and the other popular models will become available after this.

This is the project that I am helping with along with Doug Webb and Eric Falcon of Falcon Woodwinds.
We are proud to announce the first of the CT SCANNED replica mouthpieces.

We have started off with a phenomenal vintage ORIGINAL Otto Link STM NO USA 8, NO SERIAL model that the 3 of us agreed on as being the perfect candidate for the Florida replica tenor STM mouthpiece. I would describe this as fat and colorful with punch...in other words, the CLASSIC metal Florida Link vibe. This is not a Link on steroids, this is a classic faithful reproduction using 21st century technology and traditional hand craftsmanship to deliver the result the finest timeless Links delivered.

I am helping Eric Falcon and Doug Webb on this project as a consultant, and I will be in charge of shipping and marketing. This is completely separate from, and completely opposite of, what I produce for my own 10MFAN mouthpiece line. Honestly, it will be nice to have a hand in both the original design mouthpiece world, and the vintage reproduction world. Happy to be involved in both endeavors, and passionate to not mix the two.

This project is about CT SCANNING the finest vintage saxophone mouthpieces between the 3 enormous mouthpiece collections we have, and release what we consider to be the best examples of those models to the public. CT SCANNING is as accurate as you can get. Eric will be hand finishing every mouthpiece himself, and we will be offering this model in silver plate.

In addition to the incredibly costly process of CT scanning a classic Florida STM, we are aiming to reproduce the original facing curve geometries and finishing styles in order to reproduce a truly authentic playing experience and harmonic spectrum. The goal of this entire project is to remake a set of timeless classics as faithful to the originals as possible. This Florida Link will not be 2 halves soldered together. We can cut the correct geometry while using todays 5 axis machining technology. This machine technology helps us create an incredibly consistent end result.

The first 100 orders will be offered at an incredibly generous set price of $499 including USPS Priority mail shipping with insurance WORLDWIDE.

After the first 100 have sold, we are aiming for the price to be set somewhere around $599 plus shipping. We expect the first 100 orders to sell within 4 weeks or so, so place your order to reserve this price for yourself. I will post once the first 100 orders are all taken.

You will need to make payment up front by contacting me to place your order. We are looking at launching the first 100 finished mouthpieces in about 5 or so weeks from when the order has been placed. When Eric has completed the pieces and they are plated, they will be sent to me, and then I will send them out to the clients.

We use CT SCANNING because it reaches a resolution and detail level impossible to match with hand measurements and traditional modeling methods. (In other words, we've removed eye-balling and guessing from the equation).

CT SCANNING is accurate to 3 microns!

We are setting the record straight with the 1st full line of CT SCANNED mouthpieces, that are as accurate as can possibly be.
There is nothing in the marketplace like this, and we are very proud to be producing the most as-close-to perfect, accurate reproductions available to players EVER.
No built up baffles, no modified chambers, no changes to the sidewalls, no changes to the throat squeezes, no raised floors, no altered beaks, no long facings, no window adjustments, etc, etc.....

This project is about truth (no mods other than the slight angling of the table to get all the different tip openings ), and accuracy with every single model we release.

The first piece came out great and we are immensely happy to now be taking orders

TIP SIZES:
We will be offering these tenor mouthpieces initially in tip sizes 6, 6*, 7, 7*, 8, 8*, 9, 9*.

FINISH:
Silver plated body with black tooth plate.

I am shipping the mouthpieces myself from Florida, and I want you to have the utmost confidence that you will be dealing with me directly with the shipping.

We do not have a finished plated product to show you yet, but needless to say, it will look exactly like a Florida STM tenor mpc in silver plate with a different name on it.

THESE WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE NAMM SHOW WITH ERIC FALCON AND DOUG WEBB, ALONG WITH MY ENTIRE LINE OF 10MFAN MOUTHPIECES.

Email me at: [email protected]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
Re: Falcon Woodwinds CT SCANNED ***NEW*** vintage mpc reproductions---TAKING ORDERS NOW

Now this, this is interesting.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Falcon Woodwinds CT SCANNED ***NEW*** vintage mpc reproductions---TAKING ORDERS NOW

Doug, Eric, and myself have been talking about this for a long time. I put up a post about six months ago mentioning it and we are very excited about it.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My brother, you will get all the models to review.
You will love how they look, but it’s all in the playing! The model we used is an absolutely stellar example of what the best Florida’s were all about. The same effort and execution will take place with every mouthpiece we do.
How are you feeling?

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you for the orders today. These will be a huge success.
These are made the right way, and priced nicely because we feel that players deserve this opportunity.

We have two other models that are being done as we speak, and they play heavenly. Keeping those a secret until they are ready. Doug Webb will be doing video demos of all the mouthpieces.

·
Registered
190 Posts

What is the trial and return policy of this new company? It sounds very interesting, but only if I'm not stuck with a mouthpiece that doesn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi Bob,
No trials or returns. These will eventually be in all the big stores, so players will have the opportunity to check them out there.
Right now we are planning on selling direct for the first few months until the NAMM show, and then they will get into dealers hands.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,921 Posts

In addition to the incredibly costly process of CT scanning a classic Florida STM, we are aiming to reproduce the original facing curve geometries and finishing styles in order to reproduce a truly authentic playing experience and harmonic spectrum. The goal of this entire project is to remake a set of timeless classics as faithful to the originals as possible. This Florida Link will not be 2 halves soldered together. We can cut the correct geometry while using todays 5 axis machining technology. This machine technology helps us create an incredibly consistent end result.

We use CT SCANNING because it reaches a resolution and detail level impossible to match with hand measurements and traditional modeling methods. (In other words, we've removed eye-balling and guessing from the equation).

CT SCANNING is accurate to 3 microns!

We are setting the record straight with the 1st full line of CT SCANNED mouthpieces, that are as accurate as can possibly be.
There is nothing in the marketplace like this, and we are very proud to be producing the most as-close-to perfect, accurate reproductions available to players EVER.
What part of the piece benefits from CT? I understand that you can get a better image of the interior, but does the reproduction actually mimic the casting and machining finish of the original?

What makes these different from the other pieces that Eric finishes for Retro Revival (that you are selling)?

·
12,702 Posts

Everyone who finishes a link will have a different spin on it.

Some reproductions are closer than others. So many claim to be and often are not.

I recall one asian maker who billed their pieces as Florida pieces and they had straight sidewalls!

I dont know that anyone else has used CT scans. I use laser scanning on my version. It is pretty crazy accurate. Im pretty confident CT has that abilty as well.

...but in the end it comes down to who is putting their stamp of approval and finish on the piece.

Ten guys can make a mouthpiece from the same core and they can sound like 10 different pieces (within limits of course).

Best of luck Mark.

·
Registered
Tenors: TM Custom; MkVI 96k and 124k
188 Posts

Hi,
No trials or returns. These will eventually be in all the stores, so players can check them out there.
I can’t imagine buying something as personal as a mouthpiece without a trial.
I guess I’ll just have to wait for the secondary market to kick in.
Best of luck anyway

·
4,578 Posts

Hi,
No trials or returns. These will eventually be in all the stores, so players can check them out there.
So this is going to be retail eventually? That's different as well.

·
Registered
811 Posts

This sounds like a really interesting project. Very cool. What led to the choice of a silver plating finish? Has anyone ever figure out the actual plating on Florida Links? I've heard claims that it was a layer of rhodium and then the gold, but others debunk that and say they've never seen a Florida Link with actualy rhodium plating under the gold. Then others say it's a nickel or silver layer. Sorry for the minutia, but my question is do we know what the typical 1st plating layer is, and if so, is that affecting what this project is choosing to plate with?

·
12,702 Posts

The underplating on links is Nickel, then gold

Rhodium is more expensive than gold and its extremely toxic.

...all plating chemicals are pretty rough but Rhodium is out there on the edge of sanity.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

We opted for the silver to save the buyer money. It’s less expensive and it also looks really great. We thought that would be a nice way to go. At some point we may offer gold but right now we’re trying to simplify everything. The amount of plating on an mpc is so incredibly little.
No one has used CT scanning for a full line of mouthpieces. We’ve been looking into this for a long time and it’s just crazy accurate to 3 microns.

·
Registered
718 Posts

What makes these different from the other pieces that Eric finishes for Retro Revival (that you are selling)?
Just some clarification: according to Joel Peskin, Retro Revival no longer has a working relationship with Eric Falcon. All Retro Revival pieces are now hand finished by Arnold Montgomery.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

CT scanning is unlike any of the other processes that people are using. We are VERY EXCITED about this project!

There is nothing more accurate. There will always be trolls and jealous people out there to try and knock things down. There will also be loads of players that are looking forward to these pieces, and we can’t wait to get them to you guys.
We will be making reproductions that are as close to perfect as anything can possibly be.
We will not be making modifications to our pieces from the originals. Other companies cannot say that. If you know original vintage mouthpieces like I do after 35 years of selling them as a major part of my living, I can tell you there are lots of pieces marketed as close to perfect copies and those claims are FAR from factual. Outright lies. It’s sad seeing what’s happened in the marketplace with many of these vintage “copies”, and that has certainly been a motivator for us to want to really set things right. We’re not here to throw names out or throw anyone under the bus. Most people already know from their own experiences with many of those pieces, what’s going on out there.... it’s no secret.

We are here to bring our pieces to market and truly offer THE MOST ACCURATE reproductions EVER made.
We are focused on our project, and not others. We will set the facts straight with our true reproduction pieces, and really offer players looking for a taste of what the finest vintage pieces played liked, for a lot less than they can buy the originals for.

We are interested in truth and accuracy.
We will have recordings from Doug shortly. Doug Webb is a world-class musicians and to get him excited about something like this is very meaningful. He is blown away by the first piece that’s been finished and we can’t wait to get the other models we sent out, back here.

I truly wish all of you good luck in your journeys in finding that great piece for yourself. If you are a vintage metal Link lover and you love the Florida models, this is something truly great, and I hope you get one for yourself.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

This sounds like a really interesting project. Very cool. What led to the choice of a silver plating finish? Has anyone ever figure out the actual plating on Florida Links? I've heard claims that it was a layer of rhodium and then the gold, but others debunk that and say they've never seen a Florida Link with actualy rhodium plating under the gold. Then others say it's a nickel or silver layer. Sorry for the minutia, but my question is do we know what the typical 1st plating layer is, and if so, is that affecting what this project is choosing to plate with?

Hi Ben! I hope you’re doing fantastic.
I would love to get you this piece so you can check it out and do a video for us, if you are interested.
I always love listening to you! Great player!!!
To answer your questions, it was nickel plating underneath the gold on the Florida models and we do not find the very small amount of plating on an mpc to make a difference in the sound.

·
Premium Member
15,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So this is going to be retail eventually? That's different as well.

Right now, we will sell direct for a few months. After the Namm show, we will get these into retail stores so players can come and check out the pieces in person. We will be in all the major stores so players will have ample opportunity to give these a test run at major local music stores.
If you have a local music store that you would like us to contact to carry some of the pieces we put out, feel free to contact me and let me know who those stores are. I will certainly get in touch with them and give them the opportunity to carry these mouthpieces.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts