Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
The text is certainly inconsistent with the model designation, and the price is pretty low. And yes, from what I could see of
the serial number and other markings, it didn’t look accurate. DAVE

·
Registered
88 Posts
The price is low but that's just the bid at the moment, however if I was the seller I wouldn't take a chance on the horn selling that cheap. If it is Yani it would be worth a good deal more than the current bid. And I agree the stamped text does not look right and does not look at all like it does on my SC-991. First of all my horn just says 991, there is no SC- in front of it. The text for Made in Japan is way larger than the text on my horn. And a 992 isn't a gold lacquer it's a bronze horn. Does look a little suspicious to me. Frankly I don't trust eBay or Amazon for that matter. If I were in the market for a used 992 I'd look for a used one from a reputable dealer not eBay. Yet for all I know Yanagisawa may have changed the way they stamp their horns over the years. But look at the spring for the Eb key, it's all deformed, shouldn't look like that. Also looking at the screws that mount the key guard they look way different than the screws on my horn. And look at how wavy the lacquer is on the thumb rest. The lacquer on mine is as smooth as a baby's a#s. I see several other things that don't match up with my horn and I also see where some swaging is needed or is it because it's a cheap imitation? I'd just keep looking elsewhere for a 992.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts