Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this used form a friend. This mouthpiece feels like plastic and doesn't have the "soloist" engraving on the side. Looks suspicious. Any idea?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Looks real to me. Scroll shank wouldn’t have Soloist stamped on it and would have the tip opening stamped under the logo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great thanks. Last one: how can you tell it's made from hard rubber not plastic?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,098 Posts
Does that mean it's not a real Selmer, only a copy?
If the dust is white it’s not rubber and therefore a copy. If it’s brown it’s rubber and real.
if you make the pass lightly on the bottom of the shank you won’t mess with the facing and can polish it back up if needed

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,792 Posts
well, there is not even any need for actual filing, you can simply rub it, the heat will free enough sulphur smell to ascertain whether it is rubber or not

·
40,792 Posts
but I suppose the question is not so much whether this is a soloist style but if it is a real selmer or not, it looks awfully new

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
but I suppose the question is not so much whether this is a soloist style but if it is a real selmer or not, it looks awfully new
And there's the irony. In the old days a mint vintage item had added value. Now it doesn't because it looks counterfeit - and there is no foolproof way to know until you buy it.

·
40,792 Posts
or even after, if they do their job well, which opens up another question.

What is original?

There are furniture companies such as Vitra and Herman Miller both selling their version ( different from the very original anyway) Eames Lounge chair .

They are original because they own the rights but there are many others making copies and some copies are well made, so, are they any less original than the not identical to the first ever made “ Original” sold by the expensive companies?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a lot y'all for the help, I did the simplest test with rubbing it to heat a few seconds (GREAT trick Milandro) and the sulfur smell was quite strong. I did the same on a genuine clarinet hard rubber mp and a student plastic to compare and could really tell the difference.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
29,876 Posts
Thanks a lot y'all for the help, I did the simplest test with rubbing it to heat a few seconds (GREAT trick Milandro) and the sulfur smell was quite strong.
Yes, but to make completely sure, douse it well with gasoline and apply a naked flame.

NB: just to be slightly more helpful, I've seen a couple of mint ones and they dool plasticky, as did the Vandoren Javas.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,347 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this piece has been worked on?
Non horizontal sanding marks on the table, rails more trim than typical, tip rail quite thin.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks this piece has been worked on?
Non horizontal sanding marks on the table, rails more trim than typical, tip rail quite thin.
It does look like it was “restored”. My Short Shank Soloists sure don’t look that fresh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts