Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
That may be a fake listing, but the horn in the pics look like the real deal to me. I'm interested to know what's fake about it as well.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone with only one transaction in their feedback (not music related) and only takes a bank transfer for payment. BEWARE!!!! I'm sure the saxophone is real but does not belong to the seller. Furthermore, look at the price; it's way too low for a Buy It Now.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I wouldn't trust anyone with only one transaction in their feedback (not music related) and only takes a bank transfer for payment. BEWARE!!!! I'm sure the saxophone is real but does not belong to the seller. Furthermore, look at the price; it's way too low for a Buy It Now.
Yep, if it were legit at that price it wouldn't still be up there for us to talk about.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
So the horn may not be fake, as alleged, but the eBay auction itself maybe fraudulent. I suppose it wouldn't matter to a victim, they'd be out the money regardless. But for the purposes of this discussion, it matters. DAVE

·
14,268 Posts
In looking closely at the serial number shown in the eBay photos, I'm wondering if the "M" preceding the serial number is accurate? I don't have an authentic early MKVI tenor to use for comparisons, but my two MKVI sopranos do not have an "M" preceding their numbers; and the font used for the "M" in te photo does not appear to be correct.

My earlier MKVI soprano (1959) has "No."; my later MKVI soprano has "N."

Maybe someone here with an authentic MKVI tenor of that era could make a comparison and comment. DAVE

·
Registered
534 Posts
It's a relac anyway...:)

But yeah, the wire transfer is a dead giveaway that the listing is fake. Heads up to all - ebay isn't going to protect you if you wire your money away.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, yeah ,the horn might be looking legit but the seller isn’t , I have reported this dude from Italy several times for other listings..always got removed in a heartbeat..

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
"Deze aanbieding is afgelopen."

(This offer has ended.)

·
2,294 Posts
In looking closely at the serial number shown in the eBay photos, I'm wondering if the "M" preceding the serial number is accurate? I don't have an authentic early MKVI tenor to use for comparisons, but my two MKVI sopranos do not have an "M" preceding their numbers; and the font used for the "M" in te photo does not appear to be correct.

My earlier MKVI soprano (1959) has "No."; my later MKVI soprano has "N."

Maybe someone here with an authentic MKVI tenor of that era could make a comparison and comment. DAVE
Dave, the M is the correct font for the SN. Seen many similar to this.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
He is back in business...

«*NO MORE TIMEWAISTERS,PLEASE. buy only if you intend to pay*» 👍🤣

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/1954-S...720937?hash=item1ccefc3ae9:g:k7oAAOSwaFNco2yS
At least it's being advertised as a "Mark VI type" and in the description a "Like Selmer Tenor saxophone, Mark VI type." And the price is $650.

That should be enough red flags to indicate that it is not a Mark VI, and for any astute observer enough to say it's nothing like a Mark VI. Likely just a pretty piece of junk and in this case you get what you pay for (maybe not even that).

Beyond that it's ironic that this is also advertised as 'something similar' to the '54 Mark VI. No way is it similar to a real Mark VI of any vintage...

Also note the spelling and odd word usage. Don't "waist" your time on this "like" Selmer!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I haven't seen a fake like this one before. They even tried to stamp it like a real Mark VI. Any idea what kind of "Mark VI" this one is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372942882936
The serial number places it in the Balanced Action range, but it ain't no BA either. Most glaringly, it has an offset right hand stack. Also, the emblem is wrong on the neck for a BA. Looks more like a copy of a VI, but not all that great of one either. Something is off about the finish...looks really cheap in how it is worn off of certain keys. The stamping of the pat./serial numbers looks wrong too. I'm sure there are lots of other tells, but that it plenty to stay away from this one I'd think.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts