1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
565 Posts
Please elaborate! What do you see that tells you it's a fake? The only thing I can see is maybe the pants guard on the back of the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,589 Posts
Pretty sure he is correct. The front F would be a pearl. There would be no engraving on the back of the body. I don't believe the Selmer finish is that color.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I looked up a pic of a real reference alto and you're totally right! Also the low C key and high F# keys are completely wrong! The bells keys should have black felts, not red. The low C, Eb mechanism should only be one rod, not two.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'll just say the differences I can see from mine, whether or not you can buy them that way I have no idea.

The front F on mine is a pearl, the low C and Eb are a different shape, the right side key E is a different shape, the alternate F sharp is a round pearl not a bar, the pants guard does look different but I'm not quite as sure about that. I would definitely lean toward a fake

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,561 Posts
But it is prestine!:bluewink:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I saw that coming... doesn't surprise me, it was about time.

Funny thing is it might sound better than the real one... :)

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to have fun with this...

Let's see how many things people can point out. And yes, it's as real as craft singles "cheese". This is totally a Chinese/Taiwanese ISO (instrument shaped object) that has been fraudulently branded as a Selmer Reference. Anybody that pays attention to the smallest of details will know in seconds that this horn isn't right.

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,349 Posts
WOW.
That´s amazing, cannot believe the seller believes what he sells. A photo of the serial numnber/patents (hardly visible - but it looks jsut like one line of numbers) would immediately clarify. It´s obviously not a Selmer - here the model intented by KESSLER:
http://www.kesslermusic.com/SelmerParis/html/saxes/reference/54altoVintage.htm

The factory looks like the guys that manufature MAURIAT: (click on the foto for a close up)
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=...ge=2&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:27,s:27&tx=55&ty=53

No doubt - this would be a good price for a Mauriat as well but it is somewhat disturbing....
Thanks for pointing this out to prevent further irritation. Thanks for letting us know the story behind this!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm going to have fun with this...

Let's see how many things people can point out. And yes, it's as real as craft singles "cheese". This is totally a Chinese/Taiwanese ISO (instrument shaped object) that has been fraudulently branded as a Selmer Reference. Anybody that pays attention to the smallest of details will know in seconds that this horn isn't right.
Almost too easy for a photohunt game. And I like your definition of ISO a lot. :mrgreen::salute:

I also think the seller didn't ever suspect it might be fake.
I have been a professional Saxophonist and collector for thirty years.......It's hard to believe I'm saying this, "but I actually like the 54's better than my Mark VI's". Because the new key placement really is better. ....
?! I thought one of the key feature of Ref 54 is that they brought back the key placement of Mark VI....?:scratch:

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
Modern & Historical / Charles Chedeville CC1 Alto MPC and Theo Wanne Ambika Soprano MPC
1,349 Posts
1 - 20 of 99 Posts