Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You mean to pay someone to take it off your hands? At least a hundred bucks...

Seriously though, you won't get back the money you put into it. But as it does have the more favored Conn neck style, I'd ask for three hundred and be prepared to take anything around two hundred... if you're lucky. I'd also think about selling the metal mouthpiece separately. Not sure of the value, but it does appear to be an oddity.
What is favorable about this neck style? Just curious.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,567 Posts
But isn't there a difference in sound? Doesn't the tenor neck make the C Mel sound more tenor-ish? Sorry for the stupidity, I've never played a C-Melody.
The straight neck is definitely more comfortable. I have both. A 1920 & 22. I think the gooseneck is a little less stuffy but the straightneck is more forgiving.

@Grumps prices over the last year+ on decent Conn C Mels has gone up. As @Grey Stone mentioned some far from playable sold well. With Covid there’s a shortage of new instruments coming in from Asia. People who don’t know the difference are paying top money just to have a sax. Whether they play it or not who knows. The one in discussion (early1922) is very common. I don’t see a timely sale exceeding $450 on the best of days anywhere. That’s without the metal MPC. It looks like a low mileage unit. Completely free of damage. Cosmetically loved and recently polished while assembled. As stated by the OP this could probably use a re-pad. Some of those pads are ancient to possibly original.
At minimum this needs a real COA @ $200.
So @ $450 - COA = $250 to tops $350 (because it has case & mouthpiece) is my view.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have both. A 1920 & 22. I think the gooseneck is a little less stuffy but the straightneck is more forgiving.
Interesting. I have a 1919 and a 1921. I found the straight neck 1921 plays and sounds better; to me the 1919 with the gooseneck feels stuffier. I was curious whether the difference was the body or the neck, so I switched the necks. The 1919 played better with the straight neck on it, and the 1921 played worse with the gooseneck.

·
5,567 Posts
@DadOfTwins honestly I would like to see you keep this as a family item. Sell the metal mouthpiece. I’m not a mouthpiece guy so I don’t know what it’s worth.

Is there a Conn “straight neck” C Melody without the microtuner?
No
Perhaps one or both of the twins will one day? :)
And @Grumps my friend, C-Mels DO have a use - I use them to hammer body panels back together!
View attachment 127838
What fingering for F#?
I would pay $250 tops
Add $100 for shipping.
Interesting. I have a 1919 and a 1921. I found the straight neck 1921 plays and sounds better; to me the 1919 with the gooseneck feels stuffier. I was curious whether the difference was the body or the neck, so I switched the necks. The 1919 played better with the straight neck on it, and the 1921 played worse with the gooseneck.
Have not tried this. Will do as you really have my curiosity. What MPC do you use ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hmmm Maybe I will hold onto it. I just played it, and the tone is better than I remember. Ran a leak light down there. yeah, lots of leaks. Not sure if it's the pads or needs adjustments or both. As I mentioned there are various places where cork needs to be replaced -- especially by the weird tone hole on the back side of the bottom stack. It wants to go down when pressing E or D, but since the cork is missing it won't close all the way -- makes the D sound like a D#.

I've been thinking I might try my hand at sax repair. Maybe I'll keep it as a project horn

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmmm Maybe I will hold onto it. I just played it, and the tone is better than I remember. Ran a leak light down there. yeah, lots of leaks. Not sure if it's the pads or needs adjustments or both. As I mentioned there are various places where cork needs to be replaced -- especially by the weird tone hole on the back side of the bottom stack. It wants to go down when pressing E or D, but since the cork is missing it won't close all the way -- makes the D sound like a D#.

I've been thinking I might try my hand at sax repair. Maybe I'll keep it as a project horn
The extra tone hole is a fork Eb. It lets you play Eb with a fork fingering (RH 1 & 3) rather than the pinky Eb. It needs extra regulation to stay closed, so some people just wedge it shut with a large piece of cork. You can read more about it if you search for "fork Eb."

·
5,567 Posts

These are an excellent sax for playing around the house. That’s what they were made for. DIY, no reason with some basic tools you couldn’t do that. Take a bunch of pictures so you know what it looks like putting it back together. Don’t be shy to post for help in the Maintenance section. Would be glad to help you as well as many others. At minimum I would take it apart finish the cleaning and give it a good oiling.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,742 Posts
I had it repadded several years ago, but it could probably use another repadding. Some of the corks have since fallen off as well.
If you paid to have it repadded, it looks like you got ripped off. There's no way those pads are only several years old. Based on their appearance in your photos, even several decades old might be a stretch.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts