Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to sell my C Melody. I accidentally inherited it from my Grandfather. After he died, I was rummaging through some old stuff in our attic and found this. I was maybe 13 or 14 at the time, and had been playing Tenor a bit. I could tell this wasn't a tenor, but not an Alto either. Asked my band director about it, he said "oh, you've got a C melody".

I had it repadded several years ago, but it could probably use another repadding. Some of the corks have since fallen off as well.

Other than that, it is in good shape. No dents or anything. Case is original. The handle has worn down, but is functional. Latches still work.

It has what must be the original mouthpiece, a Conn eagle. It also has an all-metal mouthpiece with a built-in ligature with no identifying markings on it whatsoever. It also has the end plug and lyre.

I keep thinking I'll start paying it, but realized I never will.

What would be a fair price for this horn?

Body jewelry Cosmetics Jewellery Automotive tire Font

Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Gas Auto part

Musical instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Gas

Musical instrument Gas Rim Cylinder Machine

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Office equipment

Musical instrument Gas Audio equipment Jewellery Auto part

Automotive tire Musical instrument Wind instrument Train Slope

Musical instrument Fixture Gas Bicycle part Wind instrument

Musical instrument Wind instrument Bicycle part Woodwind instrument Religious item

Window Drinkware Cylinder Glass Metal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,116 Posts
What would be a fair price for this horn?
You mean to pay someone to take it off your hands? At least a hundred bucks...

Seriously though, you won't get back the money you put into it. But as it does have the more favored Conn neck style, I'd ask for three hundred and be prepared to take anything around two hundred... if you're lucky. I'd also think about selling the metal mouthpiece separately. Not sure of the value, but it does appear to be an oddity.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,024 Posts
There's one like it on Sacramento Craigslist for $300. It's also a nice looking horn but yours is cleaner and has been recently repadded. The CL one says it's been in the closet for 20 years. So yours should be worth more than that one. I've seen asking prices as high as $1000 for clean examples. I don't know what they ended up selling for though.

·
28,116 Posts
I've seen asking prices as high as $1000 for clean examples.
The only way a Conn C melody could go for anything near or above that price would be if it was a gold plated portrait model. I bet that one in Sacramento that's asking for three hundred is still available. There's just no value in these horns.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
The only way a Conn C melody could go for anything near or above that price would be if it was a gold plated portrait model. I bet that one in Sacramento that's asking for three hundred is still available. There's just no value in these horns.
Don't agree Grumps there are folks that will pay higher $s for Conn's then say Buescher's C melodies by far. Also, if you use ebay GBS for global shipping you can get even more sending it to Europe.

·
28,116 Posts
You've got to be real careful in evaluating ebay pricing. As you'll see, one sold for $675, but then the exact same horn sold a month later for an undisclosed "best offer". The first buyer probably didn't want a C melody and the second one definitely paid less. So you can't rely on that one to set a market price.

My advice above is for selling locally. Ebay takes too much money in fees and then you have those with buyer's remorse muddying the waters and demanding refunds. Selling overseas is its own headache... and I wouldn't want to go through that for a C melody.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
You've got to be real careful in evaluating ebay pricing. As you'll see, one sold for $675, but then the exact same horn sold a month later for an undisclosed "best offer". The first buyer probably didn't want a C melody and the second one definitely paid less. So you can't rely on that one.
Agreed but again I sold the Conn's and people actually paid me.. lol... I have had folks flake out on other things...

·
28,116 Posts
BTW how are you? Been awhile..
All good. I see the link above to the hard rubber mouthpiece, but have you come across a metal C melody mouthpiece like the one with the horn in question? Most know I'm no C melody fan, but I'm definitely interested in what that piece is all about.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My desire is to sell locally. I'd rather not deal with shipping or fees. But that greatly narrows my chances for selling it as well. I'm in the Chicago suburbs, so not a terrible market.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
All good. I see the link above to the hard rubber mouthpiece, but have you come across a metal C melody mouthpiece like the one with the horn in question? Most know I'm no C melody fan, but I'm definitely interested in what that piece is all about.
I have not. I had a couple of those metal\rubber hybrid C Melody mouthpieces, forget the name now, but have not come across an all metal.. G have you come across something like this @PigSquealer ?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’m not a big C melody fan, but I thought nothing of paying over $550 for an early gold plated Conn that was overhauled. And it was a C tenor with a curved neck, not favored by the majority.

They have their place. Great horn for sight reading classical lines with piano accompaniment. And its a softer sound for a small room.

But needing work it will sell for pin money. Keep it. It’s not as if it’s a junk Olds Cutlass taking up garage space.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
3,024 Posts
Yeah, I think it's been around for a couple of weeks so you're probably right. It is a nice looking horn. Some cleanup and a play condition should get it going if someone were interested.

·
Registered
A: king zephyr martin HC 1 T: 1970 Mark VI, 1985 Buffet S1, 1935 Martin HC 1 B: 1973 Buffet SDA lowA
490 Posts
OP. You say that you had it rep added a few years ago. You should not need another reload unless you have played it non stop or it was a bad repad job. If a few corks fell off this is maybe $50 adjustment.

I have a Bari that was repadded in 1985 and the pads are still good. Unless you Putnam back in the attic I would think it is good. If the pads are soft then you just need a minor adjustment.

My understanding is the straight neck conns are most desirable. However l, you are not going to get top dollar in the local market. C Melodies are an acquired taste.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts